dualboot Win7-Ubuntu cant find GRUB2
I have SSD disc with this partition:

sda1 - 100MB partition for win MBR
sda2 - 35GB NTFS partition for win7
sda5 - 25GB EXT4 for ROOT (/)

In BIOS I have legacy (not UEFI) bios selected.
First I install win7, when it was done I installed Ubuntu to sda5 with GRUB2 on sda5.
After install win7 booted. With EasyBCD soft I added new boot option to MBR (GRUB2 on sda5).

But when I restart PC and select Ubuntu, it just boots into grub4dos command prompt.

There I can manually boot to Ubuntu by command:
root (hd0,4)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda5
initrd /initrd.img
boot

But Im still not able to locate GRUB2.

Dont you know where is the problem?
You want to install grub into root or /dev/sda when your installing Ubuntu its asks you thats where you install grub, make a full backup before you mess with any partitions.

uNi
I want to have GRUB on linux partition (sda5), because its not recommended to have it on MBR.
My idea is that when I start PC bootloader from MBR start. There, I select Win7 or Ubuntu and when I select Ubuntu, I run GRUB2.
Or is possible to launch directly GRUB2, that is not saved on MBR, and here I will be able to select WIN or Ubuntu?
I been running dual boots for over 14 years and never did I installed grub to any other than /dev/sda

You do whatever you want I suppose.

uNi
And what partition do name /dev/sda? it is /dev/sda1 with Linux partition? Is this partition with GRUB root or boot type?

All I written above is /dev/sda5

My problem is, I allready have installed Win on first partition (/dev/sda1) and I want to add linux to next partition.
This is not about where you install Linux, you can install Linux wherever you want, grub MUST be installed to /dev/sda or whatever the ROOT is of the drive which bios is booting from. If this is dev/sda1 then its dev/sda1 it varies.

see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot like I already tried to explain its goes in same partition as MBR or the ROOT of drive whichever it happens to be as the path varies from config to config.

uNi
Thanks, I finally create dev/sda4 as boot with GRUB2 and dev/sda5 with root.
Now after reboot, I see Windows boot manager, there I select Ubuntu and it launched GRUB2.
Your obviously doing dual boot the way nobody does it. But if it works, Im glad your sorted.

uNi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
dualboot Win7-Ubuntu cant find GRUB20