Req XBMC reverse lookup tool for scraping
Lightbulb 
I read through the forums very frequently and see a large amount of questions regarding scraping. Tonight I just hit a problem with the TV show Jeopardy! and the naming convention I should use. The show doesn't seem to follow the standard Season Episode format. So I went and visited theTVDB.com to try and find my solution. I also did a search and see this show is a bit of a challenge. But that isn't the point of my post. This might be an addon instead of a feature, and it might even need to be web tool. But it seems to me it would be a big help to the community to be able to input a URL from IMDB or theTVDB and get an output of proper naming conventions for the show or film you put into the tool. Basically a reverse lookup tool for your shows and movies. Here is an example of how I see this working.

You have a disc that you rip to a mkv file. You put that into the proper movie/tv/music folder and update the XBMC library. XBMC does not add the files, most of the time this is due to an improper name. So, let's use The Shawshank Redemption (1994) as an example. That one should be easy, but let's say you put the year 1999 in error and XBMC can't find it and you can't determine what is wrong. You go to IMDB and find the movie with this URL http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111161/. You copy and paste this URL into the tool and get a list of name options that can be used for your file that will allow XBMC to properly ID the file. You copy the proper name from the list in the format you prefer and paste that into and rename the file.

For TV shows basically the same thing except you input the URL from theTVDB.com.

I know there are media managers out there that help you with things like this, but sometimes it is just hard to determine what is wrong and even the media manager can't find the right combo. If I had any skills at all, I think I would start working on something like this, but code is something I haven't touched since I owned my commodore 64 in the 80's.

Is there something like this already out there that I just don't know about, or is this a viable feature or addon, or even an addition to the wiki that could be created?
You can put the URL in a plain text file, name it the same as the video, but with "nfo" as a file extension, and that would work. I would think that since that works, an add-on could do this on the fly without the nfo file.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC reverse lookup tool for scraping0