Plex Media Server combined with XBMC Frodo
Ok So I have added Plex Media Server (PMS) to XBMC as a Upnp server and all of my shared videos/music work.

But a lot of the metadata doesn't show up correctly and the homescreen links in XBMC can't be set as smartplaylists for Plex TV/Plex Movies/Plex Kids etc....

Can we make specific upnp server links, smartplaylists in xbmc?

Also my watch status is still not working correctly between the 2 services... Does Gotham fix this yet?
Most of what you want doesn't work over upnp.

There is a plex addon for xbmc.

Not sure why you'd need plex though? Unless you are playing to devices that need a transcode?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-04-02, 08:38)nickr Wrote: Most of what you want doesn't work over upnp.

There is a plex addon for xbmc.

Not sure why you'd need plex though? Unless you are playing to devices that need a transcode?
I think that Plex Media Server is based off a Upnp service. Its just a matter of time before Xbmc starts the server/client service also or figures out a way to start using plex media server also...

I know about plexbmc but I wanted TV and Movie links directly on my homescreen...

Not sure why there is such hatred between the 2 very very still similar media centers. But most prefer it because its server/client actually works and yes the trans-coding is a god send! I do miss the XBMC skins, addons and modding but those I can live without for now.

My hope is that the 2 services could eventually work together finally, hence the 2 being the closest in similarity now with Frodo and PHT....
Unless you have devices that are bandwidth constrained (ie outside your home network) or power constrsained (eg android, ios) or have limited operating systems (eg so called "smart" tvs) then the transcoding is unnecessary and will always result in loss of quality.

upnp is standard that doesn't necessarily have support for what you want.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Android tablet - check
2 iphones - check
AppleTV2 - check

Update: I just found out that in AeonNox4 you can add PleXBMC shortcuts to any Plex link straight in xbmc home menu! Very nice! SO added Movies, Kids, TV, Exercise, and Music right in the homescreen in XBMC! It all works great and has the artwork too!!!!

I'll try this out and hopefully no lag...
(2013-04-02, 09:33)crimsonfury Wrote: Android tablet - check
2 iphones - check
AppleTV2 - check

Update: I just found out that in AeonNox4 you can add PleXBMC shortcuts to any Plex link straight in xbmc home menu! Very nice! SO added Movies, Kids, TV, Exercise, and Music right in the homescreen in XBMC! It all works great and has the artwork too!!!!

I'll try this out and hopefully no lag...

Right there with you Crimsonfury. I recently converted over to Plex Media Server when I switched out all of my AppleTVs to Roku 3s. Plex on Roku has been phenomenal so far and a huge upgrade over Apple's interface for my personal media (not to mention not having to maintain two separate libraries). In my HT room I have a 2012 Mac Mini running Windows 8 that I had XBMC on for streaming media untouched. The problem was that I was having to maintain my media within XBMC and Plex which became a huge pain. I tried Plex Home Theater, but the interface is far from ready for prime time. I really want to merge XBMC and PMS so that I have a common media solution for my home and portable devices. Let me know if Plexbmc and AeonNox4 works. If so, I will be heading that direction immediately.
Sony 75X940C, Yamaha RX-A3050, 2 x Martin Logan Motion 60XT, 1 x Martin Logan Motion 50XT, 2 x Martin Logan Motion FX, 4 x Martin Logan Motion 4, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP, Sony X800 UHD Player, Nvidia Shield TV
Plex Server: Intel Skull Canyon NUC, 16GB RAM, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro
NAS: Synology DS2415+ (5 x 10TB, 2 x 6TB, 5 x 4TB)
It works... But hippojay hasn't implemented Widgets/Shelves yet on the homescreen for the plex shortcuts... So you can have the great views of Nox but you can't have the widgets work yet... Hopefully someone will crack this code.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Plex Media Server combined with XBMC Frodo0