Best Hardware Currently?
Question 
All,

I have sat going through this forum for a good while now and I want to get on with buying my hardware. The only problem is there are SO many combinations that I was hoping somebody could just give me a straight answer, I build my own systems so I realise this is not always possible lol.

I've gone through the building your first HTPC thread as well as others and I've decided I'm in group 7.

I want to stream HD content, play HD content 1080p/24, stream high quality music and hook it up to my B&W sound system and Arcam Amp. I already own a proper blu-ray player so I don't need an optical drive.

I'd simply like to know what you good folk recommend as currently the best built system for a group 7 build at current prices. I can price up and put together a high end gaming rig no problem but when it comes to this stuff, I defer to the experts!

I apologise if there's a million of these threads already, I've done all the research I can and I just need clarification.

Budget is around £300 however please list anything as all the latest information is handy.

TIA

Scott
I feel for what you want to do it's an i3-3225/H77 with an SSD for the OS. Media would either live locally or on the network on 5400RPM hard drives.

My bias is always towards mini-ITX so I'd point out these cases available in the UK:
http://www.it-tech-uk.com/4_tendraw

You'll want a nice low-profile cooler for the i3-3225 and this Noctua low-profile heatsink is arguably the best (though you'll need a 1U 28mm cooler for the smaller of those Tendraw cases).
Yeah I was leaning towards the i3 from what I've been reading, SSD I think is a given considering the increased boot times and access times, I have one in my gaming rig.

So ideally I'm looking at:

i3-3225 with Intel 4000 on-board gfx
Mini ITX case
Sufficient power supply
SSD
Wi-Fi adaptor
IR adaptor?
(2013-04-02, 18:07)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I feel for what you want to do it's an i3-3225/H77 with an SSD for the OS.

Wondering why not a G2010/2020? The OP did not mention 3D so I suppose the i3-3225 would be the safest since it will do everything but if 3D is not needed then why not a G2120? You can get a IVB Pentium/Celeron for half the price of a full i3.

So Scotteh, do you want/need the ability to play 3D content?
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
I've been really happy with my NUC purchase, paired with 8 GB of RAM and a 64 GB m SATA drive. Total was ~$400. Small form factor, quiet, powerful and very easy to piece together.

(2013-04-02, 18:52)Scotteh Wrote: Yeah I was leaning towards the i3 from what I've been reading, SSD I think is a given considering the increased boot times and access times, I have one in my gaming rig.

So ideally I'm looking at:

i3-3225 with Intel 4000 on-board gfx
Mini ITX case
Sufficient power supply
SSD
Wi-Fi adaptor
IR adaptor?

Basically this describes the NUC lol, minus the IR adapter - Purchase the FLIRC as the NUC has a front USB port.
3D isn't a major thing currently for me, however I look at future proofing as much as possible, I do the same with my gaming rigs. IF 3D was needed in the future then would the mentioned i3 be sufficient?

Pasoa2021, I did look at the NUC but from reading this forum it seems they have problems with stability in regards to LAN/WiFi/HDMI, also overheating issues with i3 version? Kind of put me off it....
If you want 3D then you'll need an i3 or above. If you can get buy with 2D then basically any intel IVB processor will suit your needs. You could easily save $70 by sticking with 2D and picking a lower end CPU.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
Money isn't really the issue, more so making sure I pick the right kit which is why I take all of your advice on board Smile

I'll probably stick with an i3, due to the mentioned NUC issues I've read about I'm leaning towards Dougie Fresh's idea.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Hardware Currently?0