XBMCbuntu on Intel NUC HD4000 - Black Crush Fixed by 3.9 RC5 - HD Audio broken now?
So I just finished installing XBMC on the Intel NUC and have very dark video.

I believe this might be referred to as "black crush"? When I watched the same video on the Intel and then my ATV1 with crystalHD, the picture was much better on the ATV1.

What do I need to do to fix?
So quick update on this:

When I first installed XBMC, I installed kernel 3.8.5 (I believe) to get HD-Audio working. This worked fine, however i have the really low blacks.

I just tried the most recent RC of 3.9 (I think RC5) this morning, which corrected the black level problem, but now HD Audio doesn't work LOL.

What can I do here?
Anyone? Is there a forum for specific XBMCbuntu support?
Try the below command using kernel 3.8.5:

Code:
xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Limited 16:235"

Note: change the HDMI1 to whatever your using.

Jerry
How can I find what display it is? I believe I tried xrandr this morning and it returned that no display was found - Is this something that has to be installed?

Actually dumb question - Would xrandr need to be run from the NUC itself? i.e. can I run this from SSH?
What is the output of?

Code:
xrandr -q

Jerry
I'll run when i get home. I just realized I probably need to export the DISPLAY variable since I'm logged in via SSH
So I tried that "xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Limited 16:235" " and the screen flashes for a minute, but the picture doesn't look any different.

I'm on kernel 3.8.5 now.
Please check http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=160677
It will answer your questions...
So I have updated to 3.9 RC5 and that has fixed the black crush.

Now HD Audio doesn't work.

I did notitce the in the audio settings, it changed from HDMI device named "HDA INTEL PCH, DENON-AVR ON HDMI" in XBMC. Leaving me only one HDMI device called "HDA INTEL PCH, HDMI".

How do I get HD Audio back?

I have tried the fix lisetd on the wiki modifying the CTL numbers in also.conf, that doesn't work.
Hi
There are more competent guys on this forum than me..., and they usually ask for the Xbmc debug log..., it could help here, and who knows you may get them to chip in as well.
OK I can post. For anyone more knowledgable in this, any other logs or command outputs I can post that would help?

Does 3.9RC6 fix this?
Apparently rc6 fixes this. There is another thread.
This is correct - I installed RC6 and this is fixed.

However please note the CTLINDEX changes to the Alsa file are NOT needed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCbuntu on Intel NUC HD4000 - Black Crush Fixed by 3.9 RC5 - HD Audio broken now?0