SMB Performance
I have just recently transferred my XBMC server from OSX to Windows and am wondering about SMB performance. I currently have my client machines set to sleep after 15 minutes. After waking these machines and then attempting to play a video it can take anywhere from 45-90 seconds for the file to play. After I play the first file then each subsequent video starts instantly until the machine goes back to sleep. I am guessing that the delay is the amount of time required to authenticate against the server. I have all machines connected to the server via gigabit Ethernet. When running in OSX with NFS file sharing setup I never had a delay. Is this common performance for SMB? And is there anything that I can do to improve this performance. I have four windows clients which experience the same behavior. As I am completely new to windows I would just like to have some idea of what to expect from SMB performance. Thanks and sorry in advance if this has already been covered was unable to find something.
Kinda sounds like the hard drives on the server have gone to sleep. You might want to check your power management setup.
HP Stream Mini w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Toshiba 37"
Intel NUC8i3BEH w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> LG OLED55C3PUA -> S/PDIF -> Sony HT-CT80
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V467 -> HDMI -> Toshiba 47L7200U
That's what I thought initially as well. I have checked my power settings and even gone as far as to install KeepAliveHD which writes to a text file on the drive every 7 minutes to keep it awake. The issue only seems to appear when the computer goes to sleep, I have one of my clients set to not sleep and when playing videos it loads instantly however for the machine that goes to sleep it can take 60 seconds on average for the first video to start.
Well, I know my HTPC machine takes a short while for the network card to come back up after it's been in sleep mode. But I've never timed it, and it doesn't feel that long. You could start by looking at the Event Viewer logs, maybe get a hint of what's going on.

I suppose you could also try editing the power config profile. I've heard one or two things in there have caused a few weird problems for laptops. You could also try to prevent the NIC from being put to sleep -- option on the device properties in Device Manager.

Or just start the obvious way -- update drivers.

Lots of other variables, but not enough info to really start you on the right path. The above are just shots in the dark.

Good Luck.
HP Stream Mini w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Toshiba 37"
Intel NUC8i3BEH w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> LG OLED55C3PUA -> S/PDIF -> Sony HT-CT80
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V467 -> HDMI -> Toshiba 47L7200U

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB Performance0