Which file container should I use?
Question 
Hey,

For my DVD and TV show collection, I was hoping to find a better file container to use - currently I am using .VOB.

A few things to note/requirements:
- For my media PC, file storage is not an issue.
- I am looking to get the best video/audio quality from ripping the DVDs.
- I need to have forced subtitles, i.e. only the subtitle parts that are needed when non-English dialogue is spoken.

I have had a few issues using .VOB in that the file lengths appear to be 26 hours, which means I can not use the seek function. Some files I can not use the pause function because when resuming, it restarts. Finally, with a few DVDs, it has proven very difficult to get the forced subtitles.

Because of these requirements and issues with .VOB, i'm looking to re-rip my collection to a new format/container.

Which file container should I use, and what programs would you recommend using to get the DVDs into this container?

Thanks,
Matt
I would suggest MKV. Converting DVDs and BluRays can be done quite nicely with MakeMKV - you can select which bits to keep and throw away (for example, I remove all foreign languages and extra features) - it does not transcode any video or audio, so you will have zero drop in quality.
I'd agree with the above, mkv's made with MakeMKV is how I do it as well.
The venerable old DVDShrink still works well for this sort of thing as well, and can produce a non-compliant, single VOB per disc (i.e. ignoring the 1Gb limit) if you wish.

mkv is my container of choice, though, although I compress everything to H.264 en route since the space is more valuable than the small bit of time a squashed DVD takes.

If you have the original DVD images on HDD already, I think either makemkv or DVDShrink will read those, so you don't have to re-rip: you're only re-wrapping into a different container, not re-encoding, so it'll practically take no longer than copying the contents to a new file.
(2013-04-04, 16:44)Mattgc92 Wrote: Hey,

For my DVD and TV show collection, I was hoping to find a better file container to use - currently I am using .VOB.

A few things to note/requirements:
- For my media PC, file storage is not an issue.
- I am looking to get the best video/audio quality from ripping the DVDs.
- I need to have forced subtitles, i.e. only the subtitle parts that are needed when non-English dialogue is spoken.

I have had a few issues using .VOB in that the file lengths appear to be 26 hours, which means I can not use the seek function. Some files I can not use the pause function because when resuming, it restarts. Finally, with a few DVDs, it has proven very difficult to get the forced subtitles.

Because of these requirements and issues with .VOB, i'm looking to re-rip my collection to a new format/container.

Which file container should I use, and what programs would you recommend using to get the DVDs into this container?

Thanks,
Matt

Before you go and re-rip all your DVDs try converting your DVDs to be stored as a ISO image. You can try it on one of your DVDs and see how it works. This is free and works for Windows: http://www.nextofwindows.com/create-an-i...text-menu/. By the way, I use ISO image for all my DVDs.
Kodi 17, Transparency Skin
PogoPlug v4 running Arm Linux 4.4.63 as MySQL (mariadb) server.
Mac OS 10.12.5
2015 27" iMac 3.3 GHz Quad, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
2015 13" Macbook Pro, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
AppleTV 4 TV OS 10
mkv is good i used to use this a lot however lately i have been using mp4 so i can easily transfer to my ipad or iphone without re-converting
Do you get DTS sound when you convert to MKV ?

Is MKV a compressed file format and if so...what is it compressing ?
MKV is purely a container. You can put into an MKV almost whatever you want. You can simply store the original video/audio data, or you can use another application to first compress to another format.

Using MakeMKV with a DVD or BluRay - you can select exactly which video, audio and subtitle streams to include. I typically include the main feature, audio in DTS-HD/TrueHD and DTS Core, as well as any forced subtitles for English.

Anything else - intro videos, extra features, extra languages, all get removed.
(2013-04-04, 17:11)ConfusedTA Wrote: I would suggest MKV. Converting DVDs and BluRays can be done quite nicely with MakeMKV - you can select which bits to keep and throw away (for example, I remove all foreign languages and extra features) - it does not transcode any video or audio, so you will have zero drop in quality.

(2013-04-04, 17:25)jjd-uk Wrote: I'd agree with the above, mkv's made with MakeMKV is how I do it as well.

I have downloaded MakeMKV, for DVDs with forced subtitles, where are they located, can they easily be found?

Also when ripping with makeMKV, do you get chapter selection?

Thanks
All the profiles in my MakeMKV, default, FLAC and WDTV have ignoreForcedSubtitlesFlag="true" under mkvSettings

What does this line mean, does it mean that it ignores forced subtitles?

If so, how can I change this? It wont let me save this using Notepad++, I get a save error, saying I need to check if the file is open in another program, yet MakeMKV is not open.
I just follow the steps in this guide http://assassinhtpcblog.com/?page_id=39#guide3

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which file container should I use?0