Server out of space. How should I grow?
(2013-04-08, 18:59)boognish43 Wrote: Is there any easy way to convert this into an external enclosure?

I guess you would be using/losing to much space by running only 4-6 HDD's per pc cases, with a 5in3 and 3in2 you can easily add more HDD's to each pc case, I just dont know how you will connect all of them to your server, maybe a sata port multiplier conected trough USB3.0 and powered trough PSU, cz your HDD's will need it anyway... let me know if what I said helped you. Thx.
___________________________________________________________________________________

Edit: Add this link: http://www.datoptic.com/usb3-and-esata-t...oller.html
Maybe too expensive, but a pc case and PSU + this should do the job. 5x3TB = 15TB per PC case sounds nice.
___________________________________________________________________________________

Edit 2: Less expensive:
[ http://www.ebay.com/itm/multi-SATA-1-to-...1c31b31ca2 ]
+
[ http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-0-to-SATA-...3ccd39ee46 ]
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]
Have you thought of just gettig bigger Hard drive? You don't comment on how big each of the drive are. Have you also though about cleaning up the older stuff? Things that do not get used anymore

Edit: Also think about going Freenas using a USB thumb drive. This will free up a few gigs of space as least
(2013-04-11, 00:39)lukasnmd Wrote:
(2013-04-08, 18:59)boognish43 Wrote: Is there any easy way to convert this into an external enclosure?

I guess you would be using/losing to much space by running only 4-6 HDD's per pc cases, with a 5in3 and 3in2 you can easily add more HDD's to each pc case, I just dont know how you will connect all of them to your server, maybe a sata port multiplier conected trough USB3.0 and powered trough PSU, cz your HDD's will need it anyway... let me know if what I said helped you. Thx.

Edit: Add this link: http://www.datoptic.com/usb3-and-esata-t...oller.html
Maybe too expensive, but a pc case and PSU + this should do the job. 5x3TB = 15TB per PC case sounds nice.

Edit 2: Less expensive:
[ http://www.ebay.com/itm/multi-SATA-1-to-...1c31b31ca2 ]
+
[ http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-0-to-SATA-...3ccd39ee46 ]

Make sure the USB interface can specifically handle 3TB and supports a port multiplier.
(2013-04-11, 01:24)Ned Scott Wrote: ...
Make sure the USB interface can specifically handle 3TB and supports a port multiplier.

I couldnt find the required info, but since it is much less expensive, maybe he can try it out before go for a right pricey solution. The only thing I could find is that is SATA-IO 2.6 compliant, I tried to find more info about it, but I couldnt find it with a quick google search.
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]
I highly doubt the USB adapter supports 3TB or a port multiplier, and I know the port multiplier doesn't support 3TB either (mentioned in another, nearly identical, ebay listing).
How about deleting stuff to free up space?
(2013-04-11, 05:07)Ned Scott Wrote: I highly doubt the USB adapter supports 3TB or a port multiplier, and I know the port multiplier doesn't support 3TB either (mentioned in another, nearly identical, ebay listing).

The expensive USB adapter says it in description:

"Supports HDD greater than 2TB drives and RAID volume can be up to 15.0TB (use 3TB)"

Link: http://www.datoptic.com/usb3-and-esata-t...oller.html

I guess there is no low price solution.

(2013-04-11, 06:51)skippy Wrote: How about deleting stuff to free up space?

Funny. =D
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]
(2013-04-08, 18:59)boognish43 Wrote: Let me add this question to the conversation.. I have a few extra pc cases around the house that could each fit about 4-6 drives. Is there any easy way to convert this into an external enclosure? Just want to see if anyone has any input on this before I place my order. Thanks!

Boognish43, had you decided? This is in my to do list, I am getting out of space [9,7 TB of max 10,3TB - HP N40L + 4x3TB + 1x250GB] and I dont wanna buy or build another server, I wanna know wich path you took, so I can follow it step by step [if you're just adding more HDD's] or prepare my ears [wife...] and pocket to build a server, possible buy a rack [wich will have many uses], build a monster and sell my old HP N40L.
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]

another solution with same direction...

what about reencoding some of your music and/or movies?

without looking into your db...could safe you at least 20-30% of your current hd space without (or nearly without any quality loss)
cu
(2013-04-13, 05:03)tesona1977 Wrote:

another solution with same direction...

what about reencoding some of your music and/or movies?

without looking into your db...could safe you at least 20-30% of your current hd space without (or nearly without any quality loss)

He has 8 drives, min= 8TB; max= 24TB, I guess it is a million hours task, that I wouldnt have guts to face in my 12TB Server...

Anyway, he could use 10bits to reencode. ahhahahah... 'joke'

Good sugestion but its not easy to put in work with everything, I guess...
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]
hmm

movie run 24p/s so heres the math:

a "good" cpu divides realtime by 2-3 so 120min/3=40min*200movies/60(time_hours)/24(time_days)=5.5days. so why not...if it save you some bucks
cu
A "good" CPU at high load for INTENSIVE 5.5 days will not save you a few bucks, it will cost you more than a few bucks, and make you be without that pc for ~6 days...

And we are always keeping more data on ours servers, we will need to grow sometime... I will be out of space maybe 2 months from now, thats why I am searching about how other people are getting bigger. Even if reencode all my stuff on my 2.5ghz i5 2450M, I will be without my main pc, the strongest in my house. How will I work, study and do other less important stuff?
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]
Reencoding should not be an option, as he will be in the same boat in some months.

Also, I don't see going external a good solution.. We have to be clear and honest about having a media server. Media takes a lot of space, and having a good server means putting a bit of cash into the server..

Rebuild the server, make a 20 drives build and, once that one is full, build another one. Also, do you run some kind of protection for the data (raid, parity)?

With the external stuff you're only patching it, IMO, in a less reliable way, and it's not even that cheap
(2013-04-13, 09:16)PatrickVogeli Wrote: Reencoding should not be an option, as he will be in the same boat in some months.

Also, I don't see going external a good solution.. We have to be clear and honest about having a media server. Media takes a lot of space, and having a good server means putting a bit of cash into the server..

Rebuild the server, make a 20 drives build and, once that one is full, build another one. Also, do you run some kind of protection for the data (raid, parity)?

With the external stuff you're only patching it, IMO, in a less reliable way, and it's not even that cheap

+1, you got the point.

Quick off topic question: What OS do you prefer to use on your server, and what kind of protection?

_______

Edit: fix some grammatical errors.
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]
Actually, this guy ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817576001 ) a very practical and cost effective solution. It allows someone to connect 4x3TB HDDs while using only one SATA port on a motherboard. I keep debating buying one and just slapping a Raspberry Pi on it, or a Pogoplug, and just using USB. It provides casing, cooling, power, port multiplier, USB options, supports up to 3TB, is small and looks nice, and all for $100.

Modular growth is perfectly fine. Cheaper than buying a new case and possibly a new motherboard, or additional PSUs, or SATA PCIe cards.

Granted it's not clear what has actually maxed out here. Is it just case space? If the existing server has the SATA ports and power needed, then $5 and a trip to home depot is all you need to fit more HDDs in there. Shelf rails are my personal favorite solution to making quick and dirty, but decent, HDD racks.

For both OS and projection, I keep hearing good things about unRAID. I haven't tried it myself, but sounds perfect for this kind of thing, and lots of people on the forum seem to really like it.

EDIT: and newegg has the USB 3.0 version on sale for $115: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817576009

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Server out of space. How should I grow?2