Win How to select backend software?
With xbmc set up, I now need to select a PVR backend that supports the Pinnacle 800e USB TV device I have. (I downloaded the appropriate driver and Win XP recognizes the device when I plug it in.)

How do I go about selecting the PVR software? A search for Pinnacle didn't return any matches.

Thanks for any help.

BTW, here's a link to the USB tuner manual:
ftp://ftp.pctvsystems.com/TV/documentati...01e_EN.pdf
I may have found it ... but I'm not certain. 580 megabytes seems quite large.

http://www.pctvsystems.com/tabid/62/defa...fault.aspx

Am I on the right track with this? Since all the terminology is new to me, I very unsure.

Again, thanks in advance for any assistance.
I am new to this myself, however that link you posted looks like a full tv / pvr solution. I believe you are just looking for a backend solution. Have you looked at the nextpvr xbmc wiki guide: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PVR...nd/NextPVR
It does also include a front end as well, you don't have to use this though. You will be using xbmc instead.
Thanks for your response. I was suspecting that 580Mb was more than the backend. I've looked at the wiki, but not being familiar with the terminology, I couldn't see how to isolate a component that would support my device.

Others seem just as confused as I am. For example: http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.php?4...=PCTV+800e

At this point, it looks like xbmc, NextPVR and the pctv offering are all-inclusive (competing?) solutions.

Hopefully, someone understands how the software components fit together and can offer a simple® explanation.
If Windows has detected the hardware, then you don't need any more Pinnacle software.

You need a backend (XBMC does not talk directly to the tuner hardware), that's ArgusTV or NextPVR if you're running Windows, and XBMC v12.0 or newer and the relevant PVR add-on enabled.
Well, that's encouraging. As an independent test, I attached the Pinnacle usb receiver to a laptop running Windows Media Center. The laptop recognized the device and I was able to display 5 broadcast channels using the Media Center software. This weekend, I'll try both of those PVRs with xbmc on my main PC.

Thanks for your help.
No joy (so far). I've tried Next PVR and it only gets "TV signal lost" messages about every 30 seconds. Then I swapped out to ArgusTV and got the same result. It's especially baffling because of my result on the other PC:
Quote:As an independent test, I attached the Pinnacle usb receiver to a laptop running Windows Media Center ... and it worked.
I've read over the wiki and lifehacker pages, but can't see how to proceed. They imply it's somewhat "plug and play", if you have the proper components.

Any suggestions on what I'm missing?
In ArgusTV Recorder Console, you need to configure the card, scan for Services, then create Channels from the Services.

It's not as simple as a TV's "scan for channels" unfortunately!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to select backend software?0