OpeneELEC vs Windows + RAM DISK
Hi everyone,

Im in the process of rebuilding the HTPCs in the whole house because they are all made up from junk parts ive had laying around and its starting to show..

So everything is sorted apart from storage really.
They will all be clients running from a central server so wont need much storage space.

Now the only thing im stuck on thinking is what would be better.

OpenELEC running from a USB.

OR

Windows 7/8 running from USB BUT with XBMC set up and running from a ramdisk. (with XBMC as shell)

The only reason is because I cant seem to find out if OpenELEC sets XBMC up on a ramdisk or if you can make that happen with some tweaking (as far as ive looked I cant find out)..If you can / id does then I would just go with OpenELEC

Any suggestions?
Openelec puts the whole operating system into ram. User data is kept on the HDD.
(2013-04-08, 23:35)teeedubb Wrote: Openelec puts the whole operating system into ram. User data is kept on the HDD.

Ah oh it does? I didn't know that. What about fan art and thumbs etc?
Not to hijack OP but somewhat related...

Running Openelec on an SSD seems like a tremendous waste of resources. Would I be just as well off running it from a USB drive or SD card performance wise?
They all stay on the hdd.

Ive never run OE off a usb drive but I dont think it would be too bad... OE is designed to run off a usb drive. I think that boot times would be similar as 150 or so mb of files has to be read off them.. but Im not sure about library updates/accessing fanart etc. Theres no harm in trying, OE is easily transferable to a new hdd.
Just so you know, unless you plan to reboot the windows machines often XBMC develops a terrible playback lag/stutter after windows has gone a while without a reboot. It's extremely annoying.
(2013-04-09, 02:23)touser Wrote: Just so you know, unless you plan to reboot the windows machines often XBMC develops a terrible playback lag/stutter after windows has gone a while without a reboot. It's extremely annoying.

Never, ever experienced that... Running 2 Windows 6 64 Bit Home Premium based systems on A6 and A8 hardware
Unless you experienced problem with OpenELEC, or need more activity (browing web , netflix , skype, etc) or need to edit some specific config OpenELEC is the way to go.

It's good for normal usage. Have been used it for about a year. Limited in configuration since most part of it are read-only. You can use userdata folder and autostart.sh but that's pretty much bout it. Recently I 've problems with sound dropout & video playback since 3.0rc4 and still have. So I switched to XBMCBuntu / WIndows version for now. But it could be hardware specific bugs, so tried it and see if you like it or not.

Never has problem with Windows version though.
(2013-04-09, 04:29)newoski Wrote:
(2013-04-09, 02:23)touser Wrote: Just so you know, unless you plan to reboot the windows machines often XBMC develops a terrible playback lag/stutter after windows has gone a while without a reboot. It's extremely annoying.

Never, ever experienced that... Running 2 Windows 6 64 Bit Home Premium based systems on A6 and A8 hardware

Not to derail the thread any further, but perhaps its specific to certain types of hardware? Myself and friends definitely experience it on i7 + nvidia systems as well as an e350 apu system.
(2013-04-09, 08:02)touser Wrote:
(2013-04-09, 04:29)newoski Wrote:

Not to derail the thread any further, but perhaps its specific to certain types of hardware? Myself and friends definitely experience it on i7 + nvidia systems as well as an e350 apu system.
Maybe

But in 5 of my system that run windows has no problem.

Core2Duo + AMD 6450
i5 + Nvidia GTX285
i5 mobile + AMD 5870
ATOM+ ION330
i3 + HD4000 / Nvidia GT210

No lag or stutter with 12.1 , only ATOM+ION330 has problem with lag/stutter with XBMC DSPlayer 12.1 but not experienced that with normal XBMC version.
I use to have this problem, haven't had it for a long time. Probably since Eden.
Its going to be xbmc only. And xbmc will control sleep etc. But obviously want to get the best performance so that's why thinking just minimal windows with xbmc on a ram disk. Xbmc as shell also so really won't ever see windows..

Anyone tried this?
I haven't tried a ram disk but I dual boot both windows and openelec off a ssd and OE definitely performs better, is more robust and a hell of a lot easier to setup. If all your doing is using xbmc try OE first.

I've seen this stutter after resume with windows.. I used event ghost to restart xbmc on resume to fix it. It was a while ago now and i dont know if the same happens with current releases.
Yes but I don't want to have to purchase a whole SSD, that's the main reason of this question really.
Never tried booting windows off a usb drive but the thought scares me.. Like I said before, OE is designed to be run off a usb drive so Id try that before anything else. What hardware are you using?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpeneELEC vs Windows + RAM DISK0