First HTPC!
Brick 
This is my first custom built HTPC and I am looking for answers. I scoured the site for help but haven't found any yet. If you can help, great! Or if you know some threads I could read through instead please link and I will be ever greatful!

I am buying things piece by piece (each pay check). Just purchased the Fractal Define R4 case for my media PC. My reason is for the AMPLE hard drive space (8 x 3.5" and 2 x SSD mounts) and for the silent aspect of the case. I will be running an OS (linux or windows 7) with XBMC and Flexraid or Unraid. That's it.

Next I would like to find a good motherboard & CPU but am unsure what to look for for my needs. (I am leaning towards Intel because of power/energy consumption with the maximum drives in use)

1. I would like to be able to have the capability of connecting 10 SATA drives (since I have room for 10 in the case). Should I look for a board with this many connections on it? Or should I expand later with a PCI card when needed?

2. What will I need to watch for in regards to matching the CPU and Motherboard. Can I just buy any CPU, or are they specific to the type of motherboard?

3. Should I find a motherboard with optical audio on board or get Optical PCI card?
Ok, so what you want a HTPC or a Storage Server? Wich group are you? [See this for groups: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=105965 ] I am from group 3, and you can see in my signature my devices, I am also making plans to build a storage server [12TB w/ ubuntu +SMB] and I am following this guide [ http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=104489 ].

First step, IMHO: Choose the OS. This step can make a little diference in your build.

Answer 1: Please, see the topic that I previously mentioned about Storage Servers, you can add a video card to have a functional HTPC.

Answer 2: Yes, each processor has a socket type, you can look on the mainboard for the socket type it supports and the name of processors. The socket of motherboard and processor must match, in some rare cases you can use a diferente type of socket processor with a diferent motherboard, but i dont recommend. ie.: AMD AM3 on a AM2+ MOBO.

Answer 3: Why dont you use HDMI passthrough? I guess it is easier than use a optical cable.

[Raspberry Pi 3 B]
(2013-04-08, 21:06)rwight Wrote: This is my first custom built HTPC and I am looking for answers. I scoured the site for help but haven't found any yet. If you can help, great!

Don't get me wrong,...I'm not trying to bash you,..but you really didn't "scour" this site that well.
There are hundreds (if not more) of posts from 1st time as well as experienced builders that have already answered similar questions.
If you want people to offer suggestions,...you're more than likely to get a plethora of differing opinions that will only cause you more confusion, not less.
I also say this because it seems that you're not familiar with CPUs, MOBOs, and how they match each other.

Yes, I know,...I'm now going to offer a suggestion,.....so here it is,...
Take another look at the posts,...as well as the signature's at the bottom of other people's posts.
You'll not only find pictures of builds in progress, but their parts list with links.
When you find a post from a build that looks similar to what you want,....commit to going with those parts.

You really can't go wrong with following anyone's build that posts on this forum.

(2013-04-09, 00:22)lukasnmd Wrote: Ok, so what you want a HTPC or a Storage Server? Wich group are you? [See this for groups: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=105965 ] I am from group 3, and you can see in my signature my devices, I am also making plans to build a storage server [12TB w/ ubuntu +SMB] and I am following this guide [ http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=104489 ].

First step, IMHO: Choose the OS. This step can make a little diference in your build.

Answer 1: Please, see the topic that I previously mentioned about Storage Servers, you can add a video card to have a functional HTPC.

Answer 2: Yes, each processor has a socket type, you can look on the mainboard for the socket type it supports and the name of processors. The socket of motherboard and processor must match, in some rare cases you can use a diferente type of socket processor with a diferent motherboard, but i dont recommend. ie.: AMD AM3 on a AM2+ MOBO.

Answer 3: Why dont you use HDMI passthrough? I guess it is easier than use a optical cable.

Good suggestions.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First HTPC!0