Win Tuner from TV to PC
I have TV set and TV cable, with DVB-T signal I think, in very close range to my computer, however the tv set has limited capabilities (no recording, no epg data showing, play, pause, etc). Is there any way to transfer/stream the content directly to my computer as if it has a tuner?
To add: I am not looking for a completely software solution, but may be some cable that you plug in the tv and the computer?
I'm not quite sure what you are trying to suggest here but, i'll give it a shot.

If I can gather correctly, you are asking if there is a cable that exists (lets say USB cable) that would plug into your TV and present your computer with a working Tuner. The answer is no.

I will explain why this wouldn't work.

In order for your TV to present to the PC as a tuner, your TV would have to be in an "off" state (not watching the tele) so the TV could present the stream to the PC. While yes 1 tuner is capable of tuning into 1 multiplex, there may well be only 1 channel on that multiplex. If you was watching the TV and that scenario was true. Your unable to do more with it then what you already can. Except in the occasion that your computer is a laptop and you bought a 30ft cable then you just have 30ft of angles you could watch TV at.

If you wish to add a tuner (they are cheap, I paid £7 for mine) to your PC so you can record a channel for later while watching TV. Then play it back on your computer or (let's assume) xbmc capable device at a later stage.
Thank you for the answer. It's not the price, it's just that they are really hard to get where I live. I am not sure I completely understand what you said, but if it is what I think it is, I can do it, I just won't be able to watch TV on both devices, but only on one of them, which I don't really have a problem with (I just want to watch TV trough XBMC so I can play/pause, record and use EPG data). Is this possible?

p.s.: also, my TV has a dual tunner, not sure if it can help though.
It is kind of possible in that you can use monitor out from your tv to an analogue tunet attached to your computer, such as an hdpvr. However given that the tv wont be usable for anything else, it makes a very expensive tuner! It is, frankly a silly idea.
OK, apparantly this won't work. One last question: what exactly do those capture cards (easycap for example) do? I mean I've seen they could be used instead of a tuner, but how exactly?
If I am understanding you the easycap is one of those devices that takes an analogue composite video signal and analogue audio signal from (eg) a VCR and creates a digital stream so that you can digitise your VCR tapes.

The electronics inside the device combined with the OS driver digitise the video and audio streams, compress it and mux them into a container. How much of this is done in the electronics and how much is done in the driver depend on how the manufacturer has set it up.

An analogue TV capture device is just the same, except it has a built in tuner so that the source of video and audio is provided via the tuner as opposed to an external source.

Digital TV works quite different.

I hope that answers your question.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tuner from TV to PC0