Another window no sound choppy video (debug log included)
Let me be clear, I really like XBMC and have just set up a Windows 8 machine to use it and am trying to convince the wife it's better than simple Windows navigation using ZoomPlayer. So far, due to this, I'm losing the argument.

Setup:
Windows 8 Pro (latest and greatest updates applied)
Asus P5B-M
Core2 Duo E6850 something or other
8GB RAM
Diamond AMD HD 6450 Video Card (latest stable release Catalyst Drivers 13.1 or 3 I think)
Content stored on Synology DS 1511+ accessed over SMB

Background:
Upon first playing anything, it all works fine. 720p, 1080p, DTS, DTS-MA et cetera. After the machine sits for a while, and I've disabled hibernate/sleep at the Windows level, though I've not disabled turning off the screen, I come back to play anything and there's no sound and video is choppy. FPS drop to about 4-5. This is the same for all content, even 480p or the like.

I have noticed something interesting however; though I've picked WSAPI for playback and passthrough, often upon restarting Frodo it switches to Direct Sound for playback. Restart Frodo again and now passthrough has done the same. Restarting the app does nothing, the problem continues. Restarting Windows, everything works fine. I'd say, ah, Windows problem clearly, but Zoom Player continues to work without issue even when XBMC falters.

Anyway, here's a debug log. Hope this helps out in some way. I've stripped out the lines detailing parts of my library for obvious reasons.

Please let me know if you need anything else. I'd really like you guys to be able to nail this one. I know that it isn't everyone experiencing the problem, but I also know I'm not alone.

Hmm, okay, how do I attach a debug log?
Sorry for not reading the FAQ.

Debug log here http://pastebin.com/uQKGXjxd
6.2.9200 Build 9200
Catalyst Verion 13.1
2d driver version 8.01.01.1278
(2013-04-09, 13:34)Mortuus Wrote: Background:
Upon first playing anything, it all works fine. 720p, 1080p, DTS, DTS-MA et cetera. After the machine sits for a while, and I've disabled hibernate/sleep at the Windows level, though I've not disabled turning off the screen, I come back to play anything and there's no sound and video is choppy. FPS drop to about 4-5. This is the same for all content, even 480p or the like.

I have noticed something interesting however; though I've picked WSAPI for playback and passthrough, often upon restarting Frodo it switches to Direct Sound for playback. Restart Frodo again and now passthrough has done the same. Restarting the app does nothing, the problem continues. Restarting Windows, everything works fine. I'd say, ah, Windows problem clearly, but Zoom Player continues to work without issue even when XBMC falters.
After HTPC sit idle for a while, you encountered EDID issue. You'll need to this "Gefen HDmi Detective Plus" to help ease EDID issue....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2013-04-09, 16:43)bluray Wrote:
(2013-04-09, 13:34)Mortuus Wrote: Background:

After HTPC sit idle for a while, you encountered EDID issue. You'll need to this "Gefen HDmi Detective Plus" to help ease EDID issue....

I can appreciate that this might help, but seriously, I need another hardware solution when other software seems to work without issue? Granted I just switched to using HDMI for audio vs DVI/HDMI for video and digital coax for audio, but I've been running a HTPC for nearly 8 years now and 2+ with HDMI for video. If this is an idiosyncrasy of HDMI for audio, fair enough, but a $100 hardware solution seems a bit steep to a software problem.

The thing with the audio dropouts and choppy video is it seems endemic to Frodo whereas the previous release ran without issue. People have complained about using non-HDMI connections and see the same problem. I'm not calling bullshit on your help, I do appreciate the reply, I'm just not convinced that this problem can only be resolved via hardware.

My Ouya is destined to arrive at the end of the month. If it does DTS-MA passthrough, then I might simply switch to it, but I much prefer the HTPC due to its flexibility.
Have you tried running XBMC with a delayed startup?

Do you have multiple audio devices listed in windows? if so try disabling them so only the HDMI is active.

The Ouya won't be a solution either as Android can't do HD audio.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Another window no sound choppy video (debug log included)0