Slow Choppy UI/Mouse/FPS on Frodo 12.1
Question 
I had been using Eden (11.0) with Windows 7 for a while now with absolutely no problems.

Recently, I decided to reinstall my HTPC from scratch. I installed Win7 32-bit, installed latest drivers (I have an ATI, so Catalyst), frameworks, C++ redists, DirectX, etc. When I installed Frodo 12.1 and ran it I noticed that the mouse cursor moved really laggy. Also, when flipping through my collection of movies, every time I select a new movie the animation seemed kinda choppy. I just figured it was me being whiny about it, so I left it like that. That same day, my wife noticed it and said, "wtf, xbmc is running slow as hell!" I tried googling for similar problems but I havent really seen anyone with this issue... just one guy that said maybe it was a video driver issue, although he was on Linux. So, I removed 12.1 and reinstalled 11.0 thinking maybe if it was a Catalyst issue then maybe it would show up on 11.0 as well. But NO! Everything worked perfectly on 11.0! So, I dont know what's the deal...

Maybe this is a hint, but I noticed that on the System info area where it says the Video info stuff, Eden 11.0 says it's running at 60 fps, but when I switch to Frodo 12.1 it says it's running at 40 fps. (Huh) This is quite surely the cause of the choppiness.. but what's causing it?

-Abey
btw, just in case it helps, im using Catalyst 13.1 (32-bit)
Rather than dropping an XBMC version try moving back a few driver revisions. I am currently using ATI CCC version 12.10. Other ATI users have reported similiar problems which have been resolved by rolling back drivers.
Hi!

(2013-04-11, 00:29)AbeyMarquez Wrote: Also, when flipping through my collection of movies, every time I select a new movie the animation seemed kinda choppy.

That is exactly, what drives me nuts since some time on my AMD/ATI based system (Arctic MC001, Win 7 Pro 32 bit). The transitions between the fanarts while browsing the list of movies aren't smooth as they should be (and as they are on my ION based system (Shuttle XS35GT, Win 8 Pro 32 bit)). Both systems are running XBMC 12.1. Actually I'm on AMD Catalyst driver 12.10, because that is the last or latest driver where the XBMC gui will not slow down like hell. You can't use any 13.x driver actually.

EDIT: Both system are running from SSD, by the way. So there should be no problem with loading ther fanart pics fast enough. And also <useddsfanart> is set to true in advancedsettings.xml

Besides this, everything runs perfect on the AMD machine.

But I really would like to see a butter smooth GUI as it is on the ION machine. So any hint is highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Zap
"Programming is like s*e*x, one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life" - Mike Sinz
So, finaly I sorted it out.

I checked it with parallel installations of XBMC 11, 12.1 and beta 12.2. and it turned out, that after rebuilding the complete library from scratch (not importing an old or previous library, as I've done before), everything works fine. All the fanart and cover animations while browsing through the movie list are smooth as they should be.

Although, I really don't know why it works now, I'm glad that it works now. Big Grin

Cheers,
Zap
"Programming is like s*e*x, one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life" - Mike Sinz
The upgrade from Eden to Frodo does some magic to your artwork, it takes a while before it all settles down and starts loading normally.
Unsure about the library rebuild being related. Rolling back to 12.10 Catalyst resolves the issue for me.
I've just tried the most recent driver 13.6 Beta (as of 2 weeks ago) and the same issue is still there.

I sent an issue report to them as well maybe if we all do this it will get sorted.

http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D20B2F3EB0
2 new drivers out.

13.9 and 13.10 beta.

Neither fix the issue.
What about the new 14.7 RC drivers? anyone luck with those?

I rolled back to 12.10 in windows 8.1 but i still have the issue... not only the menu but also the videos with terrible lag..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slow Choppy UI/Mouse/FPS on Frodo 12.10