Win MCE Remote driving me up the wall
Oh please help me. This is driving me up the wall, round the bend and over the hill to the funny farm........I am at my wits end.

Genuine Microsoft RC6 Windows Media MCE Remote control + ehome infrared transceiver

Windows XP Home Edition (H.E)- fully patched

XMBC Frodo 12.1 - fresh install now as part of troubleshooting

Add-on: MCERemote

GhostEvent: fresh install again

Background: I'm resurrecting an old media PC that had some different media centre/HTPC software installed. This is for a friend. The software is no longer supported. Long story short, we're stuck with the hardware we have unless he wants to throw another £3K at it for an updated system. If that were an option I wouldn't be here today.

So, the old system has been wiped and a fresh install on Win XP H.E. done. All good. I installed XBMC Frodo 12.0 originally. Then worked out how to get the eHome remote transceiver to work with that even though XP H.E. doesn't include the drivers as standard. Then installed add-on MCERemote. Okay, so at this point the remote is working with XBMC. The only fly in the ointment was the i button for the Context Menu.

Then I installed EventGhost primarily to auto-start XBMC after boot but also to map the i button for Context Menu. So the remote is working with XBMC and now i brings up Context Menu. All is good.

Then I installed Frodo 12.1 a few weeks ago. Everything was still working fine.

On Monday some of the remote functions stopped working e.g. Play, Pause, FFWD, REW, SkipFwd, SkipRev, Stop, and i (for Context Menu). Yet the cursor keys, OK/Select and backup still worked.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled and reconfigured...
EventGhost on its own,
EventGhost + MCERemote add-on,
EventGhost + MCERemote add-on + XBMC,
EventGhost + MCERemote add-on + XBMC + eHome Drivers but all to no avail. Only the cursor and back key work.

With EventGhost logging the key presses I can see that with the exception of Play the rest of the transport keys don't seem to register an action.

Now, the only thing that I think changed to cause the remote to stop working is a Windows update. I have tried rolling back to pre-update settings but the problems remain. I'm at a loss what to try next. The remote works perfectly on my laptop (Win XP) with just XBMC and MCERemote add-on. Why can't I get the same result now in Win XP Home Edition when it was working perfectly well before?
I have found the easiest solution for my setup using an MCE remote is this great little registry hack executable.

Follow the link below and on the right hand side download XBMCCustomregis v2.60.12 and run it selecting your OS. Once you are done you will have to reboot and voila a perfect working remote with XBMC. If you get that annoying GBscript during startup just go to your startup folder and remove it.

http://xbmccustomregis.sourceforge.net/

PS - The same registry hack comes with XBMC launcher which is a great tool for changing the shell. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=136798 but if you don't need to make any significant changes stick with the customregis link above.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MCE Remote driving me up the wall0