Win Best size for Fanart/Posters/Thumbnails/Disc art
I've been using XBMC for a few months now and I think I've got things running pretty smooth. I been getting my movie library (about 300 movies) organized and noticed the sizes of my artwork are all over the map (the largest being 4000x2247). My current artwork is a mix of auto (through scraping) and manually downloaded images (Fanart.tv, TheMovieDB, Google, etc).

I would imagine (correct me if I'm wrong) that optimal and consistent sized images would improve performance and increase HD space (by reducing very large images). Are there recommended dimensions and file sizes for Fanart/Posters/Thumbnails, Disc art, etc,?

I'm currently using a 1920x1080 resolution on a 92" screen from a 1080p projector, but I'm thinking of scaling that back to 1280x720 for better performance. What would be a good compromise between quality and size. All my movies are in separate folders, with all artwork is located within the movie folder. Is there a simple way to resize multiple files (WHEN THEY ARE IN SEPARATE FOLDERS)?
(2013-04-12, 17:10)jawhn Wrote: I would imagine (correct me if I'm wrong) that optimal and consistent sized images would improve performance and increase HD space (by reducing very large images). Are there recommended dimensions and file sizes for Fanart/Posters/Thumbnails, Disc art, etc,?

The size of graphics will depend in part on the ultimate display, skin and your hardware. If your skin is 720p, then home screen graphics don't need to be bigger, with your final display over 92", I would think backdrops would look best at the optimized video size of that display (probably 1080p which is 1920 x 1080 ). Skins modify the size of graphics to fit into elements needed in that skin, so if you're looking at 720p skin, then 1280 x 720 fanart images is best, while a 1080p skin 1920 x 1080 is best; anything bigger is going to have to be reduced in real time... or conversely up-scaled which will sap either CPU or GPU depending on your gfx card. A bit of skin investigation will be needed to best determine the optimal gfx size of images.

Scaling could be handled through a batch file and most art shop programs have some sort of batch facilities. Or better still eliminate all art work and re-install with something like Artwork Downloader.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best size for Fanart/Posters/Thumbnails/Disc art0