Linux XBMC Session not starting
Hey!. Apparently my HTPC that was working *so* well decided to invent some weird problem out of nowhere and now I'm here trying to look for help XD.

The HTPC is running Ubuntu Minimal with XBMC-standalone replacing the standard desktop and has been on 24/7 for the past month or so but I haven't used it for anything other than downloading stuff for the past week. Suddenly and without me doing anything I stopped being able to SSH into it or connect to the few services I run (torrents, couch potato, etc) so I went to check and found out that the computer had rebooted and was now on the login screen even though I have it set to sign in automatically.
The problem now is that whether I reboot it and let the auto-sign in process take over or connect a keyboard to it and do it manually the session will try to start, the XBMC logo pops up yet after like 30 seconds it goes back to the username/password screen.

If I chose to sign in using the guest account the session start and XBMC shows up using the default settings so the program is working and I'm assuming the error is with the other user/session. The problem is that for some reason I can't SSH into it to do a proper troubleshooting. I know there's a way to log into a terminal session but I don't remember how to do it >.<.

Any ideas or pointers on what I can do to try to fix this mess?.

Here is what I'm seeing after turning the PC on and is also the screen to goes back after signing in.

Edit: I see I'm not the only one with the problem and that re-installing it seems to be the easiest fix. Any help on how I can go from that pic to a terminal session where I can sign in using the XBMC user and do the reinstall?.
seems like an update did this to a few of us lately.

same issue. i get the xbmc boot screen then dumps me to a login screen and no matter what commands i try i cant get xbmc to start.
Yeah.

So, I plugged a keyboard to it and managed to sign in using a console by pressing CTRL+ALT+F1 at the sign in screen but now I find out that the computer is not connected to the internet at all. Is there any way an XBMC upgrade could have broke that?.
no, XBMC has nothing to do with hardware drivers. Check if you have eth0 listed and get an IP:
ifconfig -a

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Session not starting0