Crystalbuntu USB Install from Mac
I have an ATV1 with Crystal HD card installed.

I'm trying to create a Crystalbuntu USB drive using a mac running OS 10.8.3.
I've been following the instructions here http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Cry...l_from_Mac

I've downloaded the usb.img file which is residing in my Downloads folder, however I can't seem to get past the second stage:

Open Terminal, navigate to the downloaded file, and enter the following command followed by return:
gunzip USB.img.gz

Could somebody walk me through the steps to navigate to the file?

Many thanks
easiest way is to type in

cd

put in a space, then drag and drop the download folder icon (from the Finder) into the Terminal window. This will fill out the file path for you. Then press return.
Thanks Ned, that worked great, but when I then type in gunzip USB.img.gz the Terminal says: No such file or directory. It seems that the mac has created an img file USB.img with no gz appendage. Could you please advise what I do to get past this?

many thanks
Safari has probably already unpacked the file. (there's a preference to "open safe files" where Safari will expand .zip, .gz, and other compressed files automatically). You should be able to find the USB.img.gz original inside the trash can. Pull it out of the trash can, and then trash the USB.img that Safari made. For some reason, it gets touchy if it gets unzipped from something other than the gunzip command.
Thanks Ned, it worked perfectly, I noticed that you don't have to plug in a usb hub or keyboard into the ATV1 anymore. Just put the usb straight into the ATV and reboot.. takes about 20 mins first installation.
For USB install, yeah, it's a lot easier. Thankfully Crystalbuntu 2.0 (in testing now. I would stay with v1 till it's done) will also be pretty easy to install via mac as well, as is OpenELEC (wiki).
I've been trying to watch live streaming from various plug ins and almost all of it either has no sound or is not streaming fast enough so there is a lot of jitter. Do you have any remedies for this? Is it the sites server, my broadband speed to slow or some settings I need to make in the system?
I'd need more information. It could be any number of things. A debug log (wiki) would be a good start.
Bumping hoping someone checks this...

Ive installed cystalbuntu on my atv 1 many times. Never any problems.
Now Im trying to install to another one, and having problems.

For one, when attempting to make the usb stick, Im getting error messages in terminal I never received before. When using these instructions http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Cry...l_from_Mac
I get the message "permission denied" in terminal trying to complete step 2 (gunzip installer.img.gz)

When trying to use these instructions http://www.crystalbuntu.com/wiki/linux-installation/
I get the message "file does not exist" at step 2.

I never had any problems like this before, but it seems the instructions have changed somewhat for what they were just 3 months ago, different commands and file names.

Any help??
Maybe they were having server problems? The second set of instructions should work still.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Crystalbuntu USB Install from Mac0