Win Best size for Fanart/Posters/Thumbnails/Disc art
I had posted this in the general Windows forum, but it was suggested that much of this might be related to the skin (Aeon Nox).

I've been using XBMC (Frodo 12) for a few months now and I think I've got things running pretty smooth. I've[/size] been getting my movie library (about 300 movies) organized and noticed the sizes of my artwork are all over the map (the largest being 4000x2247). My current artwork is a mix of auto (through scraping) and manually downloaded images (Fanart.tv, TheMovieDB, Google, etc).

I would imagine (correct me if I'm wrong) that optimal and consistent sized images would improve performance and increase HD space (by reducing very large images). Are there recommended dimensions and file sizes for Fanart/Posters/Thumbnails, Disc art, etc,?

I'm currently using a 1920x1080 resolution on a 92" screen from a 1080p projector, but I'm thinking of scaling that back to 1280x720 for better performance. What would be a good compromise between quality and size. All my movies are in separate folders, with all artwork is located within the individual movie folder. Is there a simple way to resize multiple files (WHEN THEY ARE IN SEPARATE FOLDERS)?
While I can't answer your question about the size of images effecting performance, I'll take a stab at the resizing images question.

PhotoShop has a Image Processor script that can resize all images within a specific folder as well as include any sub folders.

The issue isn't that simple because you only want to effect the size of fanart, not others like banner, poster, disc, logo, etc.

So you would need to run it only on each extrafanart or extrathumbs folder.
HTPC: Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF i7-7700 quad-core, 3.6GHz, 16GB
NAS: Synology DS1813+ and DX513, Hybrid RAID (SHR) 48TB usable space
My Media Center | www.CaptainKen.us | www.YouTube.com/KenInGilbert
as captainken said you dont want to change anything apart from the fanart sizes - IMO wouldnt make that much impact on performance or disc space
except for the really large ones - fanart best dimensions are 1920x1080 - if you resize fanart down to these dimensions you will save some space and loading times on the larger images in your database.
downscaling your fanart to 1280x720 would not really improve anything
the skin itself MAY run snappier at a lower resolution although I cant vouch for that - but seek times and loading times of 1920x1080 versus 1280x720 would be nigh on no different for the work you would be putting in.
The more complex a fanart the more size it takes up (a very grainy image will use up more space than a 'smooth' image)
if space is very important you can use photoshop or gimp to posterize an image (use less colour range) this saves actual file size space without too much degradation of picture quality
As for resizing multiple images in different folders hmmmmm........... there is a way but probably better off to resize the images that arent 1920x1080
manually as some of the larger images could suffer some jpg compression so might need some individual tweaking.
I hope this is of (some) help to you
Check out my Fanart.tv stuff!
...........I also accept disc requests if image not on fanart.tv database !!!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best size for Fanart/Posters/Thumbnails/Disc art0