Linux HTPC Build with Streacom FC5
Hello,

I was using XBMC last time on my old XBOX. In remember these good old times I want to build an up to date HTPC based on XBMC.

Here is a list of what I think might be good for the project as a base for discussion and improvement:

Platform: Linux Ubuntu
Case: Streacom FC5 ODB
Power supply: PicoPSU-150-XT 150W
Mainboard:
- Intel DH77EB or
- Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H or
- ASUS P8Z77-M ?
CPU: Intel i3 3225 w/ integrated HD4000 iGPU
SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 64GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile Kit 4GB PC3-12800U CL9-9-9-24
IR: Streacom IR + Philips RC2604321/01 remote

And of course some open questions:

1) What is the difference between the Streacom FC5 OD and FC5 EVO, except the price difference?
2) Which of these mainboard should be selected for avoiding 24p bug?
3) Do you see problems regarding linux, xbmc and the selected hardware?

Regards,

pixelfreak
There is 4 version of the FC5

Evo : 2 usb port on the right side, 4 heatpipes Direct Touch, Full height or low profile expansion slot, the eject button is centered
normal : NO usb port on side, 6 heat pipes, Full height expansion slot, the eject button is on the left of the OD bay

both are available with an opening for a slot loading Optical Drive (OD) or without (WS)
My name is Erier, Humf Erier
If you do a little Googling you'll see issue with the DH77EB and 24p.

I've used the P8Z77-M and it's a good motherboard. However, it does not have LED control in the BIOS. Gigabyte has an option to turn off the power LED in S3 which is nice. I'd pick between the two based on features and look at the H77 versions too unless there is some specific feature you are after on those Z77 board, you're not going to be overclocking or using a video card so there may be no reason to pick the Z77 versions.
Order is done Smile

Streacom ST-FC5ODB HTPC Fanless Aluminium 199,90 €
Streacom ST-IRRC Multimedia Empfänger 24,90 €
Streacom ST-NANO150 HTPC Netzteil - 150 Watt 89,90 €
Intel Core i3 3225 2x3.30GHz So1155 Box Ivy Bridge 113,49 €
Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H Z77 Sockel 1155 mATX DDR3 98,50 €
ADATA Premier Pro SP900 64GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" 62,70 €
Corsair 8GB KIT DDR3-1600 CL9 Blue Vengeance Low Profile 54,49 €

Waiting for arrival to start build it up.....

DID I MISS SOMETHING ?? CABLES or some other details??
Any reason you are going with a standard sized ATX board? You can get a micro ATX or a mini ATX for less, that has the same performance (with less expansion slots obviously) as a standard ATX board and uses less power. If its going to be a dedicated HTPC, you wont need to over clock it at all. I would seriously consider a smaller mobo. Anything else is overkill and wont be used at its full potential ever. In fact, it wont be used to even 1/2 its potential.
HTPC - i3-3240 Processor | Asus P8H77-I Mobo | 8 GB PC3 12800 DDR3 | 60 GB SSD | Windows 8.1 w/ XBMC Frodo
NAS Server - Dual Xeon E5440 Quad Core | 32 GB DDR2 ECC | 4 X 2TB Western Digital RED | RAIDz | FreeNAS
I ordered a mATX board (Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H). ATX does not fit into the case. Thought about a H77 version of the board, but it was only 20€ cheaper....maybe sometime I will need the extra features of Z77.
I changed my order to Asus P8Z77-M because the Gigabyte seems to have problems with linux.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC Build with Streacom FC50