Win How do you play downloaded WMV files from Amazon Instant Video?
Hi everyone,

I have purchased a movie from Amazon Instant Video and downloaded it to my HTPC (Quad core AMD with 6 gigs of ram and a 2 gig NVidia 610 running Windows 8).

I am able to watch it through the Amazon Unbox player, but not in Windows Media or MCE in Windows 8. It appears encrypted, which is fine with me if I can get it to work in XBMC. Ultimately, I want one program like XBMC to watch everything instead of using multiple programs...after all, isn't that what we all want?

I am not very optimistic about getting the file to work in XBMC 12.1, but is there a way to have XBMC run the Amazon Unbox player to play the file versus needing to play it externally?

Of course, if someone knows how to get it working natively, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

CN
Sounds like some DRM going on with a proprietary player. If none of the open public players will handle it, XBMC's code is modelled after such open source software and will likely have the same issues. There maybe some sort of patch or key software that will allow you to access this media, but it seems pretty cruel to sell you media for $ and then demand control on how you use it, but my opinion isn't going to help you out. It might be possible to use a 3rd party player (as you describe) as a select external player based on the file type extension within XBMC, http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=External_players A search of "XBMC using 3rd party players might bring more tips"

Personally this is the biggest reason I can think of for switching to the dark side,
DRM is the surely the culprit. XBMC does not and will not circumvent DRM. Your best options are to purchase DRM free content or investigate the external player method mentioned above and use the Amazon player to play your Amazon purchased content.
Yes, I agree with your assesment. I appears that it is completely tied to
the DRM. It is looking for the license...Well, I guess I am going to have to
play around with XBMC to call up the Amaon Unbox program to run it...
I appreciate the insight!

CN
You can't play it in XBMC because of DRM. However there is an Amazon plugin that allows you to play it in WMC. I would try that route. Or you can buy it from itunes instead and use a program called Requiem to remove the DRM and allow you to play it wherever you want.
I have downloaded my movie twice, apparently the limit with Amazon, to two PCs and no longer have the option to download an iOS version to my iPad.

Every avenue I have explored has brought me to a deadend unless you purchase DRM software. I guess I can live with it or just buy the movie versus using Amazon to download movies...

Thanks,

CN
We don't support or condone removal of DRM (regardless of our own personal feelings on the subject) so your link above is not acceptable and has been removed.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Edit: hmmm just realised this first post originated from 2013... nevermind

if you want a long term solution that plays Amazon videos through Kodi e.g. you don't just want watch this one video, then I can recommend Playon [https://www.playon.tv/]. I have it running on a Windows box in the background and use UnPn to view it in Kodi...

It works pretty well with both Amazon instant videos/library and Netflix, it does cost a couple of £$£$£ but it's the only way I found to have a "full legal integrated solution".

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do you play downloaded WMV files from Amazon Instant Video?0