White light flicker with mkv files
Hi there,

I'm experiencing a strange behavior with XBMC Frodo on Windows when playing certain mkv files. When there is a scene with white light the image flickers as if the light was provided by a broken fluorescent tube. If I play the same file outside XBMC (with VideoLAN) it works fine.

I was wondering If I can test something in the configurations (I have not seen any options) or if I'm missing something.

Any help will be much appreciated.
I haven't seen this kind of behaviour except when playing 10bit files or the very old files with even older bad compression techniques. Try turning off hardware compression and use software to resolve, . newer drivers, might alleviate, see what bottle necks you have with the keybaord 'o' command.
I'm having the same problem and not with mkv's only, but with all my movies and TV series's.
Did the solution help??
(2013-04-15, 11:38)folkman Wrote: Hi there,

I'm experiencing a strange behavior with XBMC Frodo on Windows when playing certain mkv files. When there is a scene with white light the image flickers as if the light was provided by a broken fluorescent tube. If I play the same file outside XBMC (with VideoLAN) it works fine.

I was wondering If I can test something in the configurations (I have not seen any options) or if I'm missing something.

Any help will be much appreciated.

(2013-04-21, 01:38)TBT1 Wrote: I'm having the same problem and not with mkv's only, but with all my movies and TV series's.
Did the solution help??

Hi guys!

What kind of graphics card are you guys using? are you using the latest drivers? do you have any other video/codec/software installed?
The Problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.
Do you understand?
Thanks for your reply.

I have a GT 555M, with 306,97 drivers. VLC installed.
However I think I've solved the problem. It has to do with the video rendering. The settings were on DXVA, so I changed the settings to Auto. The white pulsating flashes was immediately gone.

I hope the problems doesn't come back again.
(2013-04-21, 12:05)TBT1 Wrote: Thanks for your reply.

I have a GT 555M, with 306,97 drivers. VLC installed.
However I think I've solved the problem. It has to do with the video rendering. The settings were on DXVA, so I changed the settings to Auto. The white pulsating flashes was immediately gone.

I hope the problems doesn't come back again.

Good to hear, however that driver is kinda old isn't it? you could try updating it if problem comes back.
The Problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.
Do you understand?
I have GeForce GT 520M with latest drivers from windows update.

I think I've also solved my issue following TBT1 advice. I my case Auto was selected for video rendering but I had to disable Hardware Acceleration and the annoying white flickering has gone.

Thanks for your responses.
Correcto about my drivers. I will update my drivers. ;-)
(2013-04-28, 19:11)folkman Wrote: I have GeForce GT 520M with latest drivers from windows update.

Note that the drivers provided by Windows Update sometimes lag far behind the latest drivers released by the manufacturer. I don't know if that is currently the case with NVidia drivers, but it's something to explore if you decide to try re-enabling hardware acceleration.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
White light flicker with mkv files0