• 2(current)
DTS passthrough on Ouya - not currently supported
I have been researching this for a while and it seems that there are mixed messages regarding this. Some said they had it working on a transformer prime. When you say it would not work, do you mean it would not work in XBMC or the tegra 3 is simply not strong enough?

I would tend to think that current ARM processors are not strong enough. The reason I am hoping that someone with an OUYA can test is because it's my understanding that OUYA can push it's cpu to the max since it does not have to worry about battery consumption. On my HP touchpad (dual core, 1.6 gig) using MX player, I can get about 8 frame / sec with no artifacts.(Test file was sword art online 10bit 720p) The audio is of course out of sync. So I was thinking if Tegra 3 was way stronger given it's higher clock speed and quad cpu, perhaps I can get 16 fps+ sec. I guess I will have to wait for the tegra 4 then.

I also just tested the file Gundam seed 720p 10 bit (450meg about) and it gives me an average of 8 frames / sec.
interesting , I am sure we will know more as more people obtain them
(2013-04-26, 23:51)redlandmover Wrote: besides DTS passthrough, its a GREAT xbmc device (also running nox). I really like it.
Redlandmover, despite not lighting up your receiver with a DTS signal, can you tell if it's successfully doing software decoding of DTS? i.e. do you hear 5+ chan of discrete surround sound?
Just an idea, even if it is not a pretty one.

Maybe it is possible to use a USB sound card with the OUYA to enable the DTS passthrough via SPDI/F or TOSLINK?

This would also solve my problem, I have no HDMI capable AVR, and my TV is too old...
(2013-04-27, 02:49)Alchete Wrote:
(2013-04-26, 23:51)redlandmover Wrote: besides DTS passthrough, its a GREAT xbmc device (also running nox). I really like it.
Redlandmover, despite not lighting up your receiver with a DTS signal, can you tell if it's successfully doing software decoding of DTS? i.e. do you hear 5+ chan of discrete surround sound?

nope. Sad
So, no DTS pass-through, but can it do AC3 pass-through?
(2013-05-15, 04:29)elmerohueso Wrote: So, no DTS pass-through, but can it do AC3 pass-through?

dont think so. any audio set to "HDMI" that is 5.1 doesnt work. "Analog" and "Optical" might work. to be honest, waiting until this gets fixed as i was only interested in replacing my big gaming pc for xbmc activities.
(2013-05-15, 04:44)redlandmover Wrote: dont think so. any audio set to "HDMI" that is 5.1 doesnt work. "Analog" and "Optical" might work. to be honest, waiting until this gets fixed as i was only interested in replacing my big gaming pc for xbmc activities.
If 5.1 audio doesn't work through the Ouya, then it's dead to me. Completely useless as a media streamer.

Can anyone else confirm or deny the state of multichannel audio on the Ouya?
Quote:Can anyone else confirm or deny the state of multichannel audio on the Ouya?

Quote:Thanks for the note - DTS passthrough is not currently supported on OUYA, though we are evaluating support for this and other multichannel audio decoding solutions for future release on OUYA. Your feedback ensures that our gamers' voices are heard, so we'll certainly take it into consideration as we chart our roadmap.

Best,

- Arsen
OUYA

direct quote from them when asked.
Sigh. Guess I won't be pulling my Ouya back out anytime soon.
How do they expect people to take this as a serious gaming platform, let alone a media streamer, if it won't do audio properly!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-05-15, 04:52)redlandmover Wrote: direct quote from them when asked.
Yes, passthrough isn't working, but it's been claimed in other forums that XBMC is doing a software decode and passing the output as multi channel PCM.

I don't have mine yet to test it.
You guys need to clam up already about DTS. They're a tiny fish in big waters, just trying to make sure their company doesn't drown. The vast majority of households don't use DTS or multi-speaker setups. It makes sense to succeed now and bring DTS later on, and not promise anything yet so people won't spaz out because of missed deadlines (up-starts always take longer than they think).

A software update later on, and you'll all look really silly.
Well Ned, every other platform has had this slack about DTS so why net let them have their joy. I personally have my reasons for my OUYA, partly development to learn but it was mainly for XBMC from the news. Beyond DTS its far behind and needs some work. I won't consider it for XBMC just yet for various reasons right now but overall it will be a succeeding device if they can keep ahead of these emerging offerings.....that just might end up having DTS support out of box. And this sir is a worry for them (OUYA) but surely not the current owners of the device, whether they (we) feel cheated or not. I expect we will get better material in the future......patience young lads.
I should have wait a little before to buy it ^^.
Well, i think it will be the box for the bedroom (if CEC is available ^^) and not for my current HTPC/game station which will stay with an x86 system, the lack of DTS/AC3 passtrough and 24p is a no go.

One thing that i really fear (i havent received my ouya yet) is the possibility that it couldnt manage 1080i from my VDR server. Could someone test this case with the different deinterlacers available?

Bibi
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DTS passthrough on Ouya - not currently supported1