Do i need to mount my external hard driev
I have set up my raspberry pi with raspbmc on it. It loads fine and everything works. I then try and play movies off of my external hard drive and it does not seem to be able to pick it up. I have the external hard drive plugged into a powered usb hub so it does not take any power supply off the raspberry pi. Does my external HDD need to be mounted before xbmc is able to pick it up? I have my external HDD plugged in before i turn on the rasbperry pi, does this effect it? Would i need to plug it in after i turn on the pi?

Thanks in advance
Any filesystem needs to be mounted before it can be read, so the answer is yes.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yes you do need to mount it.

Make sure you have SSH access and follow this guide.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/mount-drive...ntu-linux/

Before doing it, make sure you can access your pi or fix it should it fail to restart. In doing this you play around with the fstab file, which can make linux systems not start up if there is a typo or misconfigured line. If you set it to automatically mount, you can leave it plugged in and the pi will detect it without you needing to do anything.
Openelec auto mounts my external hard drive, but when I go to add source, I can't find it. I see it on the video list, but I'm trying to add folders and stuff.
@ipunish901 welcome to the forums. Can you post a screenshot of your problem?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-04-22, 07:54)nickr Wrote: @ipunish901 welcome to the forums. Can you post a screenshot of your problem?

I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself right., I'm extremely new to all of this and Linux. I want my videos to come up when I go to TV shows, Movies, etc with all the metadata and stuff. I have my files correctly named on my hard drive, but when I go to add sources I cannot find my Hd which is "iHardDrive". I see it when I just go to files, but if I'm correct, I can't get all the goodies of info and art unless I have my files come from a source. Here are the screenshots.....thanks for any help.

I've done some searching tonight and I've read that "maybe" I need to mount my external to the filesystem, but I literally have no idea how to do that and I tried to ssh, but I'm a noob. I'm using openelec btw....I thought the help previously in this thread would work but sudo..fstab....aren't possible with openelec
USB storage devices will be auto mounted under /var/media/<partition label>, so look in your Root filesystem and navigate to /var/media and see if your "iHardDrive" is there.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2013-04-22, 16:25)MilhouseVH Wrote: USB storage devices will be auto mounted under /var/media/<partition label>, so look in your Root filesystem and navigate to /var/media and see if your "iHardDrive" is there.

ahhhhh yes! thanks thanks thanks!
Hi everyone,
Been searching for a couple of days now and thought i might bump this thread, i have the exact same prob as described above but, i can't find it when i go into the root drive/folder.

I have a pi with a an external SATA drive (thats powered) connected via usb.

When i turn on the pi, openelec starts and a little notifcation etc appears bottom right saying mounted, but ive been searching through so many /media folders /var /storage folders and all are empty.

Could i depend on the format of the drive? Even thought openelec is "supposedly" mounting it?? I'm confused it has loads of my music on it so i kind've don't really want to reformat it, (if i can avoid it)

Can SSH really help in this situation?? If so, what should i try?

Many thanks in advance!

JugHuh
If you get a 'mounted' message appearing, then it should be there somewhere.
Using RaspBMC, I'd SSH in and issue a 'sudo mount' command to find what is mounted, and where.

In my experience, if the format of the drive is unusable, then it won't get mounted.
What format is it?
RaspBMC can handle ext, FAT, NTFS out-of-the-box
Derek
Thanks for your replay,

I'm actually running openelec but i guess it's a similar scenario.
I ran the "mount" command and i got this:

o[b]penELEC:~ # mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=189500k,nr_inodes=47375,mode=755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /flash type vfat (ro,noatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/mmcblk0p2 on /storage type ext4 (rw,noatime,data=ordered)
/dev/loop0 on / type squashfs (ro,relatime)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,gid=5,mode=620)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=76388k)
tmpfs on /var type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=10240k)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)

I have no idea what the above really means... all i know is i have a usb hard drive connected and ofcourse the SD card running openelec?? - Any thoughts?
As far as I can see, there is no usb disk mounted - all those records relate to things like the system filesystems and the SD Card ( /dev/mmcblk0p1 and /dev/mmcblk0p2 )
The fusectl line is there for the tool to mount NTFS filesystems, which is the closest you have.

When I have an external HDD mounted I get entries like:
/dev/sda2 on /media/500sata1 type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096)
/dev/sda3 on /media/500sata2 type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks)
/dev/sda1 on /media/ODD80MB type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,uhelper=udisks)
which cover the 3 types I mentioned previously

I think you now have to have recourse to the system log, and possibly debug entries, to gain information about what happens when the system 'sees' the usb disk. I'd expect to see some messages relating to it being made present, and possible attempts to mount.
I was going to suggest running 'sudo fdisk -l' , but that may not give anything if the external drive just isn't being seen (or it might show filesystem types on the disk.
Derek
I have kodi on my firestick. I have been trying to get it to connect to my seagate 5tb external hard drive. It will not recognize it. I have looked in the external drive option as well as the root system under mnt, storage, sDard etc. But nothing. I have used my Xbox one and an Emerson tv as the medium between the firestick and my seagate. Can anyone help?
What do you mean by ” the medium between the firestick and my Seagate”?
(2017-04-22, 06:12)nickr Wrote: What do you mean by ” the medium between the firestick and my Seagate”?

Think they mean host?

They've plugged seagate 5tb external hard drive into both, an Xbox one and an Emerson tv. Huh

If you have a newer router most have USB ports in back for smb shares...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Do i need to mount my external hard driev0