Smart Playlist Help - In progress TV Shows
I have already made a smart playlist, that will randomly play all watched sitcom episodes, a nice little re-run playlist for when we dont really want to watch something, but still have something playing in the background.

Now I want some help with the following:
I want to create a smartplaylist that will play, in random order, the next unwatched episode from the "in progress" shows. I know pseudoTV can do this, but I would much rather want it to run, from a .xps. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks
Anyone?
You can try Type is TV Shows, In progess is True, Sort order is Random, and on the left slide-out menu, select Hide Watched.
Thanks, one thing though, if i have a tv show with 20 shows, and we watched the first 3 episodes, would this not perhaps play the rest out of order?

For instance, play Homeland.s01e12, then Homeland s01e11, Homeland.s01e04
You had specified you wanted random order in your first post. Just to be clear, the sort order applies to TV shows, since that's the type of playlist.
Ok, maybe I did not explain clear enough?

But as my initial post reads: "I want to create a smartplaylist that will play, in random order, the next unwatched episode from the "in progress" shows."

So in other words, my in progress tv shows are Dexter, 666 Park, Alphas, Community, Banshee, Californication, So i want the playlist to play the next unwatched episode from, Dexter, the next unwatched from 66 Park, then the next unwatched from Alphas, and the next unwatched from Banshee, and the same for the rest of the 20 odd shows I have 'In Progress", BUT, I want it to randomize that order, so play: Dexter, Community, 666Park, Dexter, Alphas, Alphas, Banshee, Dexter, Banshee, etc

Hope this makes some more sense.
Don't know of a way to do exactly what you want, since you are trying to deal with both TV shows and Episodes. Closest I can think of is: Type is Episodes; Play count less than 1; Sort by Episodes. This gives you a playlist of all unwatched episodes from all shows, listed in season/episode order. This ensures you are presented with unwatched episodes in sequential order, but there's nothing to force cycling through each TV show as you desire. There may be some randomization at the TV show level, but that would be strictly due to whatever season/episode number comes next regardless of the show. Alternatively, you can change sort to Random and this will present episodes in random order regardless of TV show, but the downside (a big one) is that the unwatched episodes won't be in season/episode order, so you may be presented with the season finale for a given TV show before episode(s) from earlier in the season.
Couldn't you make several small smart playlists, one for each show that you want, sort out play count less than 1, and order them in season episode order. Then limit each of those playlists to 1 entry, so each playlist will just be the single next episode you are looking for. Then create one more master playlist that will randomize all the single entries from the smaller playlists?

A bit messy, but it should work.
(2013-06-22, 12:04)ossumopawesome Wrote: Couldn't you make several small smart playlists, one for each show that you want, sort out play count less than 1, and order them in season episode order. Then limit each of those playlists to 1 entry, so each playlist will just be the single next episode you are looking for. Then create one more master playlist that will randomize all the single entries from the smaller playlists?

A bit messy, but it should work.

Hi, this is exactly what I am trying to do. I have created the playlists for each TV Show. Then I create the playlist from those playlists but how do I limit this second playlist to list only the 1st item from each individual playlist.

Thanx for your help.
Did you ever have any luck on this? I thought I read that the master playlist can only set the "limit to" attribute and not the collected playlists.
You though you read? Smart_playlists#Combining_playlists (wiki) Read again...
thanks for spell checking uNiversal Smile

Ok, so the solution offered previously won't work as there's no way to limit each individual result.
I was wanting to create two separate playlists:

1. A listing of next episodes to watch across TV shows where only 1 episode from each show is chosen.
This might display S13E05 of the Simpsons, next S08E12 of Family Guy, etc.

2. A listing of TV shows I'm currently watching, e.g. I'm only x% in
This might display S01E03 of Revolution that I've watched 15% of, next S02E04 of Battlestar Galactica that I've watched 25% of, etc

#2 looks possible given that there is an "inprogress" field, sweet

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Smart Playlist Help - In progress TV Shows0