Alt+F4
If you want to leave XMBC quickly and go to your desktop press Alt+F4.
It works great.
Also, press "T" to turn subbtitles off and on.
Thanks to all for all the help in previous posts.
FrankConfusedSmileBlushWinkWink
Alt+F4 will kill the gui only, but the process will continue to run in the background. 'End' completely closes xbmc.
(2013-04-19, 16:47)baijuxavior Wrote: Alt+F4 will kill the gui only, but the process will continue to run in the background. 'End' completely closes xbmc.

Not entirely true. It will continue to close down and exit on itself when ready.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
The "GUI" defo shuts down immediately when alt f4 is used, the process however may still run in the background. Using xbmc's "Exit" function takes apx 3/5 mins on all my HTPCs...

That said, this is one topic I love as for over 2 years, I've never really seen a definitive answer on this Wink

For example, in the other thread from a few months back... The last time someone suggested using Alt F4 to close xbmc in stead of its shutdown feature,

You said...

(2012-11-30, 16:57)Martijn Wrote: I'd still stand by my point that it isn't safe.
You have no idea what the XBMC is doing at that time even if you leave it alone. There are scripts running and database queries or whatever
Feel free to try and screw up your install with closing it.

Besides that why should you care about the 10 seconds.
imo this whole discussion is pointless to start with.

(2012-11-30, 19:15)Martijn Wrote: Yes there have been reports of improper shutdown having negative effects Smile 

(2012-11-29, 23:12)Martijn Wrote: That's like killing some one with a gun compared to let it live its normal life and die Wink

(2012-12-01, 04:05)Martijn Wrote: No humor involved. I'm not going to fetch the links because I have better things to do. Broken settings/database. Very rare but possible. 

And if you think my answer is a void that is definitely your problem. 

(2012-11-29, 23:24)Martijn Wrote:
(2012-11-29, 23:16)ilomambo Wrote: Yeah, well, I meant to ask: What is Exit doing that takes 10 seconds ?

Closing every thing down like it should.....

Now it's safe as houses...

They do, they don't, they do, they don't ... they..... Wink Tongue
Do whatever your want then.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Alt+F40