WIP Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD Master Audio bitstreaming.
Hi all,

I've just bought the Onkyo HTS3500 and have hooked it up with this player:

https://www.asus.com/Multimedia/OPlay_Mini/

This is what the player supports:

Audio : MP3, WAV, AAC, OGG, FLAC, AIFF, Dolby Digital AC3, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS 2.0 +Digital out, Tag ID3.

I have BluRay rips on my hdd with DTS sound however the player is unable to bitstream DTS to the AVR as it downsizes it to 2.0. This is what i've understood till now. I wonder if i play the rips through a computer using an audio card or a graphics card that bitstreams true DTS HD MA and True Dolby DD will i hear any difference in surround? Is it worth investing in a HTPC?

Many thanks.
i5 4440 - H81 - 4X2 GB - 128 GB SSD - R7 240 - L42ET60D / S2240L - FiiO E10 - Fiio K5 Pro - Kali Audio LP6 - TinAudio T2 - BLON 03 - ATH-M40X - Anker Spirit X - JBL Flip 4 - Fenvi 9260 WiFi/BT 5 - Corsair K55/Harpoon - VS350 - Carbide 400R - Apple Shuffle 2GB + Fiio M5.
XBMC > KODI with the good old MCE Remote. 
Since when are we an Asus Oplay support forum?
Ok. I use XBMC in my PC. I have ASUS Xonar DX sound card and will buy a dedicated graphics card which will bitstream DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD through HDMI. Can you tell me where exactly i should go to change settings in XBMC so that my PC bitstreams whatever i want into my AVR?
(2013-04-19, 21:29)PatrickVogeli Wrote: Since when are we an Asus Oplay support forum?
i5 4440 - H81 - 4X2 GB - 128 GB SSD - R7 240 - L42ET60D / S2240L - FiiO E10 - Fiio K5 Pro - Kali Audio LP6 - TinAudio T2 - BLON 03 - ATH-M40X - Anker Spirit X - JBL Flip 4 - Fenvi 9260 WiFi/BT 5 - Corsair K55/Harpoon - VS350 - Carbide 400R - Apple Shuffle 2GB + Fiio M5.
ah ok, sorry for that. First, if you want to bitstream, forget about using the Asus Xonar or any other sound card. Bitstreaming HD audio only works via HDMI. Once you have the graphic card (for example, nvidia does HD bitstream since the gt430), just change your audio device to the nvidia one and then enable all bitstream options.. that should do the trick.

You should hear a differece, at the least because you should now hear surround sound instead of 2.0! About DTS HD vs standard DTS, I won't comment on that. You may hear or not the differences, it depends on the mixing, the movie, the AVR and the loudspeakers you have
Thank you. Is bitstreaming really worth it? I've never seen DTS HD MA or DOLBY True HD display lit up on my AVR (which means no matter what movie i play my AVR get 2.0 channel sound only which results in average performance of the otherwise capable ONKYO 3500. I would invest in a dedicated graphics card if the upgrade is worthy.
(2013-04-20, 10:31)PatrickVogeli Wrote: ah ok, sorry for that. First, if you want to bitstream, forget about using the Asus Xonar or any other sound card. Bitstreaming HD audio only works via HDMI. Once you have the graphic card (for example, nvidia does HD bitstream since the gt430), just change your audio device to the nvidia one and then enable all bitstream options.. that should do the trick.

You should hear a differece, at the least because you should now hear surround sound instead of 2.0! About DTS HD vs standard DTS, I won't comment on that. You may hear or not the differences, it depends on the mixing, the movie, the AVR and the loudspeakers you have

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD Master Audio bitstreaming.0