Bitstream TrueHD with ATI
Help! I've broken my audio bitstreaming Sad It was working until I uninstalled some drivers

Card: ATI HD 4500
Receiver: Pioneer 527 (known to be working flawlessly with TrueHD etc from other devices)

With the ATI HDMI Audio driver, I get no 'Encoded Formats' listed in the sound control panel. Obviously passthru in XBMC then does not work.

WIth the RealTek ATI HDMI driver, I get supported formats listed (DTS, TRUEHD, etc) but the problem is the receiver is not playing back and HD formats correctly. It just flashes TRUEHD on its screen briefly then flicks to PCM, then back to TRUEHD. Meanwhile framerate is low and no sound is actually played.

I've gone back through versions of the RealTek driver from 2.70 back to 2.39 and so far they all have the same issue. Have tried last two AMD ATI driver revisions.

Does anybody know how you are supposed to set this up? Any clues, hints, suggestions are welcome!! Are there any simple 'known-good' apps which will playback TrueHD in MKV files other than XBMC with no/little config to rule out XBMC issues?

NB. I have followed the WIKI already, and this thread.. It suggests that no encoded formats showing with the AMD driver might mean a EDID issue, but the links to solve it don't help.

TrueHD playing with the RealTek drivers
Check your sound settings in XBMC. It may have changed from WASAPI to DIRECTSOUND.

I recently upgraded drivers for my NVidia Ion on my Acer Revo R3610 and noticed the channels were forced to 5.1 even on stereo sources (even in the GUI), and DD & DTS material was going through PCM to my AVR. After some poking around I saw that it had changed on me due to the driver update.

As an aside, before I found out the setting had changed, I thought I would try playing some TrueHD & DTS-HD material. I knew the ION 1 wouldn't do it, but was curious. With XBMC set to use directsound it was doing that EXACT same flipping back and forth between PCM and TrueHD. Turns out I just teased myself. Big Grin

From what I understand about setup for ATI/AMD graphics, you need to either disable the Realtek sound card and/or uninstall the Realtek sound card package entirely. It messes with the ATI/AMD HDMI Audio driver (a Realtek driver variant, I understand). That's documented pretty clearly in the troubleshooting part 3 of the howto you linked.

Check your sound settings and go back through the howto. The info is there.

Good luck.
HP Stream Mini w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Toshiba 37"
Intel NUC8i3BEH w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> LG OLED55C3PUA -> S/PDIF -> Sony HT-CT80
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V467 -> HDMI -> Toshiba 47L7200U
(2013-04-20, 17:20)Jogee Wrote: Check your sound settings in XBMC. It may have changed from WASAPI to DIRECTSOUND.

I recently upgraded drivers for my NVidia Ion on my Acer Revo R3610 and noticed the channels were forced to 5.1 even on stereo sources (even in the GUI), and DD & DTS material was going through PCM to my AVR. After some poking around I saw that it had changed on me due to the driver update.

As an aside, before I found out the setting had changed, I thought I would try playing some TrueHD & DTS-HD material. I knew the ION 1 wouldn't do it, but was curious. With XBMC set to use directsound it was doing that EXACT same flipping back and forth between PCM and TrueHD. Turns out I just teased myself. Big Grin

From what I understand about setup for ATI/AMD graphics, you need to either disable the Realtek sound card and/or uninstall the Realtek sound card package entirely. It messes with the ATI/AMD HDMI Audio driver (a Realtek driver variant, I understand). That's documented pretty clearly in the troubleshooting part 3 of the howto you linked.

Check your sound settings and go back through the howto. The info is there.

Good luck.

This is what I don't understand. I've always used the RealTek driver, and always used DirectSound as WASAPI never worked. However passthrough, including TrueHD always worked perfectly. I am absolutely sure of it!

I know the wiki says to uninstall the realtek one, but with the ATI/AMD driver instead, I don't get any of the 'encoded formats' showing up in the control panel.

Confusing.
Okay, well I gave up and went and bought an Asus NVIDIA card. Worked straight off including bitstreamed audio, with no setup problems at all.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bitstream TrueHD with ATI0