Win Control XMBCbuntu with Windows 7
I have discovered the Android remote software for XMBC and it works well, but because it's on my phone, it's not as user friendly as my computer. Is there software I can run on my Windows 7 machine that will allow me to control XMBC?
Yes, you can use one of the web interface add-ons: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Cat...ce_add-ons
This sounds good, but what I was hoping for was more like a remote desktop so I could. The default web interface doesn't seem to be very responsive. When I go through there I get a message saying, "Connection to server lost" and it just spins its indicator and never shows anything. The remote doesn't respond to any button pushes. Is this just typical of the default web interface or am I going to have the same problem with other interfaces? FWIW, the Android remote software suffers a similar problem.
If both the Android app and the web interface exhibit the same problem, then I'd say you should check your webserver settings for username and password are correct and that the chosen port doesn't conflict with something else on your system.
Since this is a brand new installation and I haven't done anything to this thing that, if lost, I care about, I did a fresh install. Set up the web interface, didn't change the name or password (there is no password by default) and the same thing happens. I still get the message "Connection to server lost." Before I allowed remote HTTP access, I couldn't even connect, which is as it should be. Since XBMC is the only thing running and I have not installed any software beyond the installation, I can't see what conflicts would be there. I can use Windows Explorer to navigate the file system just fine and copy files to and from the XBMC installation without any errors. I've even copied ISO files to the system to see how viewing movies works. Right now, obviously early in my experience with this, this is the only glitch that I've come across.
Which port are you using for the webserver? Check your debug log (wiki) to see if there are issues with your webserver or in accessing it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Control XMBCbuntu with Windows 70