New member first HTPC build
This is my first HTPC build, or pc build of any kind actually.

Here's my hardware list thus far:

ASRock FM2A75M-ITX - $89.99 - MicroCenter
AMD A6 5400K - $49.99 - MicroCenter
Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 4GB Ram (2x2) - $37.99 - MicroCenter
AVerMedia A188 HD Duet - $49.99 - Amazon
WD Green 300GB HD - Free! - Own part
WD Caviar Blue 500GB HD - Free! - Own Part
ASUS Black 12x-16x-48x Blu-Ray Drive - $49.99 - Amazon
Apex MI-008 Case + PSU - $49.07 - Amazon
Nexus 80mm Real Silent Case Fan - $6 - Amazon

Other:
Mohu Leaf HDTV Antenna - $36 - Amazon

I started originally with the Lifehacker build, but found some awesome deals thanks to MicroCenter and that is where I'm at.

I plan on using Windows 7 with XMBC and NextPVR

I am cutting the cable bill, plan on using the dual AVerMedia card to record over the air channels and stream the rest of my programming.

Please chime in with any thoughts!!
Looks awesome to me!

Question on the Mohu Leaf antenna:
Why would you need that if you're going with the TV/Cable card?
I'm supposing it's so you pick up the local channels correct?
I believe there are some XBMC addons that can provide you with the local channels.
I got the Leaf as opposed to using a regular rabbit ears antenna, since it is flat and you can hide it easily.

I assumed that I would need some kind of antenna plugged into the TV card

Please do share any add-ons that would provide local channels.
have a look at some reviews on that motherboard. I've heard some bad reports on that board that involve fires...
(2013-04-23, 16:43)Norni Wrote: have a look at some reviews on that motherboard. I've heard some bad reports on that board that involve fires...

+1. I would stay away from that motherboard at all cost. At least Google it first.
Wow thanks for the heads up everyone.
No wonder that board was on sale.

I don't plan on doing any gaming or overclocking, so I am comfortable taking a chance especially since I bought all 3 major pieces from MC.
If the board goes dead what else could possible go wrong will the processor be ruined as well?

Thanks for the help everyone
(2013-04-23, 19:13)airflite40 Wrote: I don't plan on doing any gaming or overclocking, so I am comfortable taking a chance especially since I bought all 3 major pieces from MC.
If the board goes dead what else could possible go wrong will the processor be ruined as well?

Depends on HOW it goes dead, and what it does if/when it goes. There is a possibility that if the MB goes, everything attached could be fried. Not 100% certainty, but certainly on the table of possibilities.

John
Well, whatever you decide, an 80mm fan doesn't fit the Apex MI-008. You can snap in a 120mm fan where the 2nd 3.5" HDD bay is though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New member first HTPC build0