HDMI-CEC help / XBMC remote control
So I am just setting up my HTPC and will need a remote. I have searched high and low and cant seem to find anything the will work well out of the box. I am not experienced in XBMC and I will need something that works well at least for temporary until I learn more about XBMC to try and program a remote. I came across a page that told me about HDMI-CEC. I have a sharp 70" Aquos that support aquos link and I have a samsung home theater that seems to support cec as well because it syncs up with my tv and I can use tv control for both and even my uverse remote controls the tv and home theater and it is only programmed to the tv. So I figure for the time being I could use my tv remote to control XBMC until I get better at it.

Problem is that I see I will need an inline CEC support for the HTPC and it will not be capable of using this technology without one. The only thing I could find is a usb to hdmi CEC adapter. My concerns with this is how good is the quality of HDMI coming from a USB? Not to mention I just bought a nice new video card that has HDMI output that I planned to use. I really dont want to use a USB port to try and get HD out of. I would think someone would have made an inline HDMI to HDMI adapter ? What should I do? any suggestion? if you think the HDMI-CEC route is not the best for now can anyone point me to a good mce remote that works well out of the box?

Oh, and to make it even more complicated, it will need to work well with windows media center as I will be using it to watch and record live tv.
The adaptor has two HDMI....1 in and 1 out ..the USB connection just injects HDMI cec functions to your graphics card HDMI output
Also you are aware that XBMC now includes pvr functionally? That allows you to watch and record live TV.
(2013-04-24, 04:39)Vidman Wrote: The adaptor has two HDMI....1 in and 1 out ..the USB connection just injects HDMI cec functions to your graphics card HDMI output
Also you are aware that XBMC now includes pvr functionally? That allows you to watch and record live TV.

Could you point me in the direction of one of those adapters where I could see that? I looked at two different types and they both only had one HDMI that I could see. if not I suppose I will take your word for it and just buy one to try as that actually makes alot more sense. those guys really need to post a better description. The one even had a video showing it being used and didnt say anything about that unless I am just missing it. the website I was looking at it is:

http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/product...x#overview

Also, I did just realize in XBMC some PVR addons but I am new to XBMC and haven't had any chance to really mess around with it that much and I knew I could set up media center quick but I will give it a look. I appreciate the info.

AHHH.... so after taking a second look at the pic from that website I can see where it is labeled "PC" and "TV" and there is a visible HDMI port on the side that says PC but that should answer my question. I will get one and try it out. Ill try and post the results in case anyone comes across this later on looking for answers.
The one you link to is the one I have
If you watch the video there you can see that it has 3 leads plugged into it :2 HDMI and 1 usb

On the subject of pvr ...it takes a little more to setup xbmc to do live TV but once done you'll have a seamless system to view all of your media without the need to switch between xbmc and wmc
(2013-04-24, 05:41)Vidman Wrote: On the subject of pvr ...it takes a little more to setup xbmc to do live TV but once done you'll have a seamless system to view all of your media without the need to switch between xbmc and wmc

Vidman - At the risk of taking this offtopic, (1) what are you using as backend and client, and (2) how does the time to change channels compare with MCE? I ask because I would love to move solely to XBMC, but the couple of times that I have played with PVR on XBMC, I was able to get it to work but the significantly increases time to change channels was not appreciated by the rest of the family. Thanks.
I am using Argus. I don't use MCE so I can't compare...but it does take a few sec to change channels but personally I prefer that rather than switching between xbmc and mce and I'm sure that the amazing team working on xbmc will be able to improve it in time.
Will it work on a sony bravia tv please give me the instructions on how to do it?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI-CEC help / XBMC remote control0