WIP First try: Intel NUC, Synology NAS, Win8 and XBMC (since the orig. Xbox)
Star 
Hi all,

I have read through the (at this point) 850+ posts in the Intel NUC thread and got inspired to do a project on upgrading my IT and Media Center infrastructure.

Current setup:
  • One old self build tower PC with Windows Vista (2*raid 1 disks and a non-raid datadrive, online backup)
  • One older HP laptop with Ubuntu (used as a TV when using my Rower for exercise)
  • One Samsung 64" plasma TV (2011 model, but bought recently)
  • One Western Digital TV Live box (older model with hacked firmware)
  • One Synology NAS DS209+ (2*raid 1 disks)
  • One experimental server running Plex Media Center (since the TV had a Plex app I tried that out)

Whats missing:
  • Dynamic coverart, descriptions, IMDB integration, subtitles
  • Consolidated datadrive (I could use the current NAS but space is scarse)
  • Better look/feel than the WD TV Live box
  • Some movies just wont play anymore on the WD TV Live box
  • NetFlix,HBO, Viasat and other streaming things integrated in the media center box (have some Danish services that are only browser based)
  • Online games (browser) possibilities on the big screen
  • My dughter Playing Sims 3 on the big screen

Progress - stage 1:
  • Arrived: Intel NUC (Intel Next Unit of Computing Kit DC3217IYE - Core i3 3217U 1.8 GHz)
  • Arrived: 2*4 GB of RAM (Simm SO DDR3 PC1333 4GB CL9 Crucial)
  • Arrived: 120GB SSD (C312888 - Crucial M500 - SATA-600, CT120M500SSD3.PK01)
  • Arrived: Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400
  • Arrived: Synology DS413j NAS with 3x3TB WD RED disks!

Further down the line:
  • Stage 3: New screen for exercise entertainment
  • Stage 3: New Android XBMC box for the new screen (to follow the Android development), G-Box Midnight or the like?
  • Stage 4: New Intel NUC, maybe i5 for replacement of my tower PC (now that storage it taken care of). Missing WIFI and extra USB ports for current use but that should be fixable?

Now I'm just sitting and waiting for this to happen Big Grin

Please comment all you like! Feedback welcome. Since I'm new to this mistakes will be made so you can help avoid them.

2013-04-26: Packages delayed due to national holiday today in Denmark. Next step Monday!
2013-04-26: Ordered as well a keyboard and I have a BT mouse for now. If the remote can do for now stage 1 is complete for setup when the packages arrive!
2013-04-30: Ready to install BIOS, Windows 8, drivers etc.
2013-05-11: NAS installed and data migrated. 4TB free space. Next step is the TV recording hardware and maybe a camera for the NAS (just for fun)
Putting the NUC together with the ram and SDD:

NUC and RAM:

NUC case open:

Funny how the "Intel inside" sounds when opening the box. Wonder how much that cost me Tongue

A really small SDD:

Everything inside:
Good setup I wanted something similar, I'm currently thinking of a NAS but I don't know if I should build my own which would be cheaper or go worth synology which would cost about £100 more but be 10x more simple. How's your experience with then nas?
(2013-04-26, 17:33)Sean1516 Wrote: Good setup I wanted something similar, I'm currently thinking of a NAS but I don't know if I should build my own which would be cheaper or go worth synology which would cost about £100 more but be 10x more simple. How's your experience with then nas?

Thanks for your reply. I am vey happy with my NAS. It has been performing perfectly in a RAID1 setup for some years without any problems. I use only a little part of the possibilities but it is working great. I'm currently looking into the quality of the RAID5 setup on the Synology NAS since that is my plan for the next one.

I have build my own PCs before but and it would also be possible to build a NAS ofcourse. You can find ready to install software aswell for NAS systems.

My plan is to buy the DS413j at a cost of around 400 US$ here in Denmark (+ disks) and I guess you could build something cheaper than this and have more money for the HDDs. Don't know about RAID quality and performance on the motherboars in this price range. What did you have in mind building?
I was looking to get the exact same NAS I posted my build on this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=163275 which works out £100 cheaper which is 1 HDD I could buy

Edit: on the mini keyboard I bought this last week http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004F...UTF8&psc=1 very happy with it
I will take a good look at this to see if I will leave the Synology NAS for something built. What software are you considering for your build?

The Synology has a great web-interface with everything.

I ended with this keyboard today Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 I wanted danish keys on it. Maybe it is too big so then I will find a smaller one.
The biggest plus I can see for building my own is the case size can hold much more than the synology. No idea what OS yet that's what's holding me back right now I love the synology web-interface, what would you use?
Im changing a two bay for a four. Think that will do it for me until cloud space is so cheap and accessable that I dont need a NAS of my own. I will go from 1.5Gb to 6 so space shouldnt be an issue for me (I know - famous last words).
I havent looked into alternative NAS software yet since I have been set on the Synology until now. Think I will stick if the whole recording/live tv works out with the DS413j one.
I have added a few fotos. Let me know if you want to see anything else.
With this I boot directly into XBMC on Windows 8: XBMC: Running XBMC on Startup in Windows 8
The Synology DS413j arrived

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First try: Intel NUC, Synology NAS, Win8 and XBMC (since the orig. Xbox)0