Jerky Video playback with no sound
Hi there, I have recently joined the world of HTPC and downloaded XBMC as the front end media player. I am running XBMC v12.1 (default skin) on Windows 8 pc which has i5 CPU, 8G RAM, 2 TB HDD. I have this connected to my Panasonic HDTV via HDMI. For the first week all was working well and I could playback my video files which are stored on the HDD and also from the built-in Blue Ray player. Today I seem to have an issue playing any video file back (saved files or DVD) with the image being very jerky/sticky and no sound. I tried un-installing XBMC and re-installing hoping that would clear the issue but it didn't. I now have also downloaded VLC player and that plays all movies OK so know my HTPC is fine. Can anyone help in what I might need to do to get the XBMC working normally again. Thank you in advance for your help.

Syd
See sticky re audio settings at the top of the board.
(2013-04-26, 09:11)steelman1991 Wrote: See sticky re audio settings at the top of the board.

Thank you for your reponce. I can not locate the sticky you mention, could you direct me to it please. Also I thought it was more of a speed of playback issue rather than just audio as all movies playback as if set to play in super slow rate. Is there any speed type settings anywhere I could check?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=146911 - most likely an audio settings issue,
Hi Steelman,

I think you we'e right about it being audio related. After lot of reading and trying things out I have made some progress. Basically I have set my audio output to Analogue and 2.0 and Directsound-HDMI as suggested to at least get sound/video working. What I find is that in my HTPC, the sound --> supported formats, I have nothing in the 'Encoded Formats' window (e.g DTS etc). In the instructions it simply says that if none exist then XMBC won't be able to play any media files that have these and needs to be fixed in OS. I can not work out how to now fix this part so that all the various audio formats now appear in this window on my PC. Can you please help with guiding me how I would do that on Windows 8 (64bit). Once again thank you for your asssitance.

Syd
If you are getting correct playback with those settings, I wouldn't concern myself too much about 'supported formats' (they will only appear, when they are supported - as you are not playing via receiver, then your hardware set-up does not support them and they wil not show). The best sound you will get with this set-up is 2 channel stereo, which will be decoded by xbmc and sent direct to your TV, therefore I don't think the existence of supported formats has any effect on how your files are played back. I don't have a similar set-up so cannot comment definitively on how it should work - happy to be corrected otherwise.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Jerky Video playback with no sound0