PBS addon fully buffer (or save to file)
(This has most likely been asked/answered before, but I couldn't find any relevant answer.)

I am using the PBS video addon to watch some of their shows. But sometimes my network gets clogged with a lot of other traffic, and the show stops to buffer more. I am wondering if it is possible to buffer the entire show for playback later. or even save the show somewhere on my disc.

Yes, I know there are copyright issues with saving shows. But is it possible to at least do a complete buffering before playback?

TIA

ken
(2013-04-27, 01:56)daytooner Wrote: (This has most likely been asked/answered before, but I couldn't find any relevant answer.)

I am using the PBS video addon to watch some of their shows. But sometimes my network gets clogged with a lot of other traffic, and the show stops to buffer more. I am wondering if it is possible to buffer the entire show for playback later. or even save the show somewhere on my disc.

Yes, I know there are copyright issues with saving shows. But is it possible to at least do a complete buffering before playback?

TIA

ken

Try clearing your cache to see if it might solve the problem. To answer your question sometimes yes and no. It depends on the source where you are getting it from. For example when i watch a tv show on xbmc it loads until the end so i dont have any buffering problems. Some however load to a certain point and stop until the video is played more then the stream will continue to load more.
If I helped you please add to my reputation a positive note

School has started, This Means Lots Of Homework[/color]

No Sharing XML's Anymore Per Forum Rules
Hi, I have much the same question.

I'm using XBMC 12 on x86 ( XBMC (12.1 Git:0d373cc), Platform: Linux (Ubuntu 12.10, 3.5.0-27-generic i686). Built on Mar 17 2013).

I live in Australia and am trying to watch PBS using the PBS video addon. Sometimes playback is flawless, however mostly it stalls and presents the "buffering" message, often 20 or 30 times during a 20 min playback.

I have created the "advancedsettings.xml" file in the correct place (~/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml) and it is as follows:

<advancedsettings>
<network>
<autodetectpingtime>45</autodetectpingtime>
<curlclienttimeout>90</curlclienttimeout>
<curllowspeedtime>10</curllowspeedtime>
<cachemembuffersize>524288000</cachemembuffersize>
</network>
</advancedsettings>

The xbmc.log file shows that it finds and loads the advancedsettings.log file.

The problem is that the changed settings seem to have no affect at all. The machine has 4GB of RAM, but the used RAM never increases above about 750MB (same as before settings change), no matter how long I pause playback for, and playback remains just as bad.

I'm wondering if that cache setting has no effect when streaming with the PBS addon?

Am I doing something wrong / missing something?

Many thanks for your help,
Lachlan.
I have similar troubles, my network traffic varries a lot. Setting a large cachemembuffersize works on many but not all addons. The PBS addon is one of the addons it has no affect on. I'd like to know what limit the PBS addon is using and how to increase it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PBS addon fully buffer (or save to file)0