XBMCBUNTU mythbuntu UBUNTU what?
so , I'm trying to figure out the best way to get Linux vesions of XBMC for front end and Myth tv for backend on the same build. I'd like some advice instead of having to learn the hard way through trial and error.
My plan right now is to install Mythbuntu and then the linux version of XBMC.
The other two option are to install XBMCbuntu and then the linux version of Mythtv OR install a generic Ubuntu and then ubuntu versions of MythTV and XBMC.

I'm building my rig this weekend:
i3-3225 (HD4000 onboard)
ASrock Z77E-ITX
Team 8G (2x4GB) DDR3
APEX MI-008
Seagate 1TB HD
HDHomerun Dual OTA Tuner (maybe two of them) (still undecided and taking reccomndations)

Thanks for the help!
Theyre all really the same, you can start with ubuntu and set it up to be mythbuntu etc... I use mythbuntu myself as its easy to get going and light weight. With the intel gpu if you want hd sound you need a 3.8+ kernel, so install mythbuntu and upgrade it to 13.04.
Thanks!, Do you havea link to a good guide for updating to 13.04? and why not go to 13.10?
or why not just use this?
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/mythbuntu/daily-live/current/

instead of 12.04 with updated kernel?

thanks again
I'd stay away from that as 13.04 had only just be released and 13.10 is probably only in alpha/beta state. Unless youre adventurous and are prepared for breakages.
Do not use 13.04. Use mythbuntu 12.04 as it is LTS version. You can upgrade to mythtv 0.26 via the mythbuntu repos, well documented here:

http://www.mythbuntu.org/repos

Then install frodo from whichever ppa takes your fancy, the xvba-frodo version is pretty good.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks.
So does upgrading Mythbuntu 12.04 to 0.26 give me a 3.8+ kernel or is that a seperate upgrade?
And if it is a seperate upgrade, is the a guide for kernel upgrade along with any compatibility fixes that upgrade may require for mythbuntu to continue functioning properly?
No, upgrading the mythtv packages to 0.26 does not affect the kernel. The mythbuntu repo is simply a ppa for the mythtv packages.

Straight ubuntu does not update packages past the level provided on release. So on ubuntu 12.04 you have mythtv code dated 10 April 2012. Ubuntu won't update it unless there is a security fix. Mythbuntu repo gives you an opportunity to go to the latest code without going to a different ubuntu version.

I am not sure why you think you need a 3.8 kernel, it certainly isn't needed for mythtv. You might want it for the latest nvidia drivers, or for HD audio on intel HDMI. However you can update to recent kernels on any ubuntu version http://askubuntu.com/questions/119080/ho...ro-upgrade
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Open a terminal and type

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install linux-image-generic-lts-raring

to install the raring kernel (3.8) in 12.04

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCBUNTU mythbuntu UBUNTU what?0