H.264 Video Codec Configuration
Hi,

I'm a new user of XBMC. I really like the aesthetics of XBMC, but am having trouble getting satisfactory video playback in Live TV. My alternative Live TV front end is DVBViewer; the back-end for both DVBViewer and XBMC is DVBViewer Recording Service.

In DVBViewer I'm using PowerDVD 12 Codec for h.264 1080i Terrestrial TV; I get pretty much perfect hardware acceleration with this codec. The Windows 7 Codec for h.264 produces many artifacts and tears in DVBViewer.

With Hardware acceleration in XBMC selected 1080i terrestrial Live TV playback looks terrible. I am guessing that by default XBMC is using the Windows 7 Codec. I would like to force XBMC to use the PowerDVD 12 Codec.

How do I implement this?

My system:

XBMC Version Frodo 12.1
Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
AMD Athlon II X3 460 3.4 GHz CPU
4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM
XFX Radeon HD5670 512MG GDDR5

Successful hardware acceleration of h.264 should not be a problem with this system (and it isn't with the PowerDVD 12 Codec in DVBViewer ).

Many thanks for your advice,

Tim
New Zealand
XBMC doesn't use any external codecs, windows or otherwise. If you are using hardware acceleration then you are not using any codec from PowerDVD, you are using the hardware decoder.

XBMC has two options, one is to use hardware decoding, the other is to use software decoding. Settings -> Videos -> Playback.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Is there an option to enable deinterlacing? Is there a choice of deinterlacing algorithm?

Thanks,
Tim
While a video is playing pack:

Bring up the On-Screen-Display (press return on a keyboard, etc) -> Videos settings
Thanks, Ned. It looks much better with deinterlacing enabled. I notice that these video settings apply to channels individually. Is there a way of applying settings across all channels?
I'd like to set Deinterlace to auto and Deinterlace Method to Auto across all Live-TV channels.
I'm not sure if there's an easy way to set it as auto for just live TV channels, but you can set auto as default for all videos, which should be safe. Just scroll down in that same window to "set as default for all videos".

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
H.264 Video Codec Configuration0