How to Record Live TV and send to XBMC
I'm having a lot of trouble figuring this out so sorry. I'm a huge noob to the HTPC. I used to be great and know a lot about PCs but times are changing and HTPC never made sense to me til recently.

Goals:
To Record Live TV
Encode shows in mp4/mkv format at 720p in a decent file size (similar to ones you'd see online to download)

Secondary Goals(VERY UNIMPORTANT BUT A NICE PLUS):
Stream Live TV to other devices.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to do my main two goals in an easy and efficient manner.
My idea was to use WMC to set up the recordings for each show, then use MCEBuddy to strip commercials and convert it to a smaller mkv file.

TBH, there isn't anything on live TV I NEED to watch, but I want to have things saved for later just in case. I don't need to use XBMC to record/watch live tv, I only care about watching it after it's recorded. I'm not trying to cut the cable, but I want to keep my recordings without having to worry about deleting them because I don't have space on small DVR.

Questions are:
What hardware do I need?
What software do I need? (I took a guess earlier but I really have no clue and so much information is outdated)
Should this be separate hardware from my server I plan to build?
How can I ensure my encodes are as good as ones found online?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to Record Live TV and send to XBMC0