Req Optimize PVR navigation=1 click navigation
Lightbulb 
As a full time Mediaportal user for PVR usage, it is crucial for me/us to have a quick and easy logic, when navigating within the PVR. (WAF)

Therefore I have compared some usability functions of the XBMC PVR navigation with my current Mediaportal - And within the first 10 minutes of usage, I found myself being a bit confused by the default XBMC navigation.

I found some of these features missing:
  • 1-click Instant Live TV - If I press Live TV in the main menu, XBMC should instantly start playback of last active channel in Fullscreen(future settings option?)
  • 1-click Channel list/switch: The enter/OK button for keyboard/remote(default mapping) brings up the Player Controls OSD - From there you need to navigate further into the channel list(4 clicks) - In Mediaportal OK/Enter brings up the channel list - H/C-button in XBMC basically does the same thing, but no remote in the world has this button mapped by default - any workaround for this - And are there plans for any "out-of-the-box" solution in general?
  • 1 Click Record button - Just as on my old VCR

Other minor config flaws or wuld prefere reconfigures by default.
  • Close channel OSD after switching channel - Why is this not activated by default? Which users want to keep the channel list, when actively have decided to switch?
  • Interlacing - Default PAL playback is just awful in XBMC - Deinterlacing or other solution should be configured by default.

In overall its nice to see XBMC is finally supporting PVR - Especially when the frontend is supported by Linux. This is right now an adavantage over Mediaportal - But Mediaportal is still easier regards to navigation usage and configuration.

Keep up the good work
/Morten
Live TV/PVR was only introduced into the last stable version of XBMC so I believe the navigation and implementation whilst functional is still under development and to be refined.

I personally use tvheadend as the backend as channel zapping was (at the time) much faster than any windows backend so I can't personally speak for any experience under those conditions but I'm using a custom remote map where, whilst watching live tv hitting OK brings up the onscreen channels list which allows to to scroll up/down thru the channels and then hitting ok again to change to that channel which then closes the channels list. Hitting the Guide button on the remote brings up the EPG timeline for channel changing and scheduling recordings.

You can set deinterlacing to auto for all channels by bringing up the Video OSD whilst watching TV, setting Deinterlace Video & Deinterlace Method both to Auto and then go down the list to Set as Default For All Videos. This should then pick the optimal deinterlacing method for each channel or alternatively you could pick a "preferred" method for individual channels and XBMC will remember the method for each channel.

Unfortunately, because XBMC is still dealing with a variety of backends and user needs at the moment, it might be a while until the devs settle on a final design for its LiveTV/PVR implementation. I'm sure there are guys here who are knowledgeable enough to help you "customize" your setup to get you closer to what you need.
Everything except "Close channel OSD automatically" can be done now... You have to configure things, because we can't make things out-of-the-box for every single person and their exact wishes.
(2013-04-29, 03:26)Ned Scott Wrote: Everything except "Close channel OSD automatically" can be done now... You have to configure things, because we can't make things out-of-the-box for every single person and their exact wishes.

What I am trying to say, is that the current navigation configuration does no fit the majority or normal user behaviour - Sure I don't expect to see special configurations for the minority - But the process logic is not optimal.

I have completely replaced my current Phillips TV-uner, with a Mediaportal's PVR setup - With full satisfaction from both kids and wife in everyday usage

Navigation is just a smooth and quick as the TV's inbuild channel menu - Furthermore I get logoes and pause/play option.

Especially the easy 1-click navigation in Mediaportal is almost 1:1 with every standard TV out there - So the ease of use/logic is very nice.

XBMC's new PVR solution looks promising - But the default navigation configuration should be changed, to further simplify usage without removing features.

Yes, some of the above options is maybe available already - But it still needs special configuration, for the majority.

Just saying.........Keep it simple:-)

/Morten
How could I change these behaviours?
Is it for example possible to change the behaviour of left/right/up/down cursor keys while watching live tv?

EDIT: Oh I think I've found something in the following thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ey+mapping

I'll try it out
(2013-05-06, 11:30)haf-blade Wrote: How could I change these behaviours?
Is it for example possible to change the behaviour of left/right/up/down cursor keys while watching live tv?

EDIT: Oh I think I've found something in the following thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ey+mapping

I'll try it out

Yes, some of these thing can be done manually - But I suggest that this should be default for XBMC's PVR.

The PVR navigation needs to be more intuitive.

Any developers want to share the knowledge/opinions?

/Morten
What is intuitive for you may not be how other people like to work.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Smile 
(2013-05-14, 07:22)nickr Wrote: What is intuitive for you may not be how other people like to work.

Then i suggest "Other people" to come with their opinions based on a valid arguments - Just like I did:-)

I do believe, that all users in general want an easy and intuitive way of navigating, right? Compare the current navigation with todays a standard TV.

And I personally do not see XBMC handle this in the best way, regards to navigating the PVR section - Too many clicks on the remote, to get what you want.

Keep it simple for the end users - (Maybe that's why Apple got successful?) :-)

Morten
I would agree. I would like the simple method of selecting up and down on remote to browse a semi transparent EPG and then just hit enter/ok to tune directly to that channel. Similiar in the way WMC does it.

Massive thumbs up though to Team XBMC for what they've achieved. As LeeG said, the Live TV aspect is still in its infancy and will only improve over time.
Kodi 16.1 on main HTPC Win 7 64-bit, 8 GB RAM, Quad Core 2.4 Ghz
3 x Pi2 running Kodi 16.1 (OSMC)
TVHeadend PVR server providing Freeview HD and Freesat HD
(2013-04-29, 03:26)Ned Scott Wrote: Everything except "Close channel OSD automatically" can be done now... You have to configure things, because we can't make things out-of-the-box for every single person and their exact wishes.
there's an option to close the channel osd after a switch too.

and I agree with Ned, that you have to configure things. you may like this 1-click navigation stuff, but others may not (like me Smile)

Quote:What I am trying to say, is that the current navigation configuration does no fit the majority or normal user behaviour
so, as a relatively new user on this forum, you know what the majority of PVR users want? can I borrow your crystal ball? Smile
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
Hi I also agree that there should be customizable shortcuts etc.
The only thing I see is that perhaps new users have problems finding the information for everything.

What would be cool is when there would be the possibility to customized the shortcuts by some gui customizing instead of by changing xml files.
An Addon for something like this would be great, too.

Is there perhaps some like this available or in production?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Optimize PVR navigation=1 click navigation0