Best USB Tuners for PVR backend setup
Have been an aivd media centre advocate for length. Have previously been using couple of generations of WMC as the main TV and Recording unit and then anything from Boxee to Noontec and a modded original XBOX etc as extenders. Now looking to go clean sweep and have a touch screen in the outdoor area running XBMC, main living room PC running XBMC and extenders will all be Raspbmc. Have setup the centralised database, so far all sweet and loving it.

Onto PVR support. Installed NextPVR on the fileserver sharing out the media, all good. Now what Tuners would you recommend ? Currently I have 2 HVR2200's running in the machine that was happily running WMC. Not enough room to put them into the Win2k8 Server though.

Any recommendations for USB Tuners? preferably dual digital each one and the possibility of FM Radio ? Huh

Thanks

T
Rather than USB, I'm using a SiliconDust HDHomeRun External Dual ATSC Tuner (HDHR3-US), with XBMC 12.1 and MediaPortal TV Server, which I think is a better solution because this device has 2 tuners and can be located anywhere on your local network via ethernet.

Regards, Clay
Ahhh that is a great idea, would work better for me to because I have a network point near the atenna point in the lounge but I don't have an antenna point near the server.

Doesn't do FM tho, no triple j Sad Does it work with NextPVR backend ?
Works with nextpvr.
Perfect, purchased one Smile now to work out what to do about Radio! Maybe just stream off the net or something
I looking for a USB tv card too, even though the OP has opted for a non USB solution, I'd still be very interested in any recommendations from USB tuner users Nod
Hi, I use the http://sundtek.com/shop/Digital-TV-Stick...logTV.html since 3 years and its very good. Since the first day it works under Ubuntu Linux and XBMC with VDR backend. If you want to try PVR/VDR on the easy way try http://www.yavdr.org/.
I too have a HD Homerun tuner. I only have the "dual" model which means I can't use a cable card. But Silicondust does have a 3-tuner version which does allow you to use a cable card. In fact, I may be looking to upgrade just so I can use a cable card - we all might! That's because "clear QAM" (which is what the cable companies "give" you) are now legally able to encrypt every single channel. And if they do, you will need a cable card for your tuner or cable box in order to see anything on cable. About the only other way to go would be with an over-the-air ATSC tuner and an antenna.

I guess the point is to not get locked into one particular tuning standard particularly where cable is concerned. No one in the USA really even needs a NTSC tuner unless they have a cable box outputting on "channel 3" or "channel 4". So if the cable companies do end up screwing us by encrypting everything (which I easily see them doing now that more and more people are "cutting the cord"), having the ability to switch over to an antenna-based ATSC tuner would be good to have.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best USB Tuners for PVR backend setup0