Win Shattered video saga
This is my first post here so Hello Everyone.

After reading dozens of tutorials, wiki guides and forum posts I surrendered in attempts to finally make my xbmc a joy and decided to post my issue here as a last cry for help.

The problem seems simple (video shattered and blocked) and solution obvious - incorrect audio settings. Unfortunatelly far from it;(

I have literally spent dozens of hours reading forum posts and trying different configurations and settings and result is still the same - video on some movies is crap!

First of all specs of my platform:
MB: Asus P8H77-V LE
CPU: i3-2130
Ram 8gb A-data
HDD: Sandisk 64GB SSD + 1TB WG Green + 2TB WD Green
GPU: internal - signal via HDMI port into my Onkyo onkyo tx-nr 806 and from there into full hd plasma screen

All above running Win 8 x64 with all available updates. The newest audio and video drivers from vendor's site are installed.

So far I have tried:
- reinstalling to Windows 7 x64 and playing with all audio settings possible based on wiki tutorials.

In Windows 8:
- followed tutorial on correct audio settings
- tried diferent settings including analogue, digital and HDMI output option.
- tried switching off every possible format in case my player cannot decode it - so i turned off one by one: ac3, dts, truehd..etc.
- changing resolutions
- switching different encoding modes - hardware, software
- tried stable frodo 12.1 and beta 12.2
- i run windows RAM mem test and intel processor test - all passed and ok

NOTHING of the above helped. The video on some movies is great and with no problems throughout the movies. However on some movies it is impossible to watch.
I only watch .mkv containers, x264 coded. Problems concern all SD, hdtv and full hd resolutions.

One thing i could not change is the audio controller driver. In wiki guide it says that microsoft/intel audio hardware driver must be replaced with original vendor driver. That i couldnt do for my amplituner as official win8 audio driver downloaded from asus page doesent want to install. The driver file is the same for all systema from xp to win 8 so maybe win8 is nor really yet supported - only guessing here.

Of course the movies that play horrible on xbmc plays flawlessly on VLC;( they also play perfectly on my ipad4 xbmc when playing over the network, but not on my primary entertainment device - brand new htpc in living room:(.
I ran out of options and have no idea if theres a solution available i can apply and fully enjoy the xbmc experience on my htpc;(

Example of movie that looks shattered and blocked:
http://speedy.sh/QyqRZ/video.mkv

and screenshots from that movie watched on my htpc:
http://imageshack.us/g/441/048za.png/

and ofcourse log from opening that file
http://www.speedyshare.com/gjKUd/xbmc.log

If anyone has any idea what could be the problem, feel free to post ideas. Thanks in advance!;)
First of all, welcome to the XBMC forums.

The screenshots you posted clearly show that something is horribly wrong with the way XBMC interacts with your video driver.
I believe we will need a debug log (wiki) to properly look at this, could you please make one ?

I am (very carefully) going to say this has nothing to do with your audio. Keep in mind I have not been able to test the video file you uploaded.
I downloaded the sample file and it played fine for me, both with hardware decoding and with software decoding. Can you upload a new debug log (wiki) file with debugging turned on? (Settings -> System -> Debugging -> Enable debug logging)
Sorry, my bad. Im away from home, retutning in 3 days and then i will follow the point8 instructions and upload the debug log.
By the way thanks for very quick answer!Wink
Never mind the point 8 instructions, I had not seen the screenshot you posted yet. After I saw that I was pretty sure audio had not much to do with it.
I edited my post accordingly.
Just a thought, try turning off DXVA - if its on (System\Settings\Video\Playback\Allow Hardware Acceleration (DXVA2). Intel and DXVA haven't worked well in XBMC for sometime.
Use http://xbmclogs.com/ to post logs

However I'll assume since you mention an i3-2130 with Intel HD Graphics 2000, with no mention of any graphics card, I'll assume you're using the Intel graphics so this being the case do you have DXVA2 hardware acceleration enabled? if so disabled it. The i3 is more than powerful enough for software decode and that generation of Intel graphics doesn't work good with the DXVA implementation in Frodo.
We got an echo in here Wink
It would seem to be the case, I actually start my reply before yours appeared but got distracted Smile
It was a goddamn DXVA!
The issue was that I was switching ON/OFF the DXVA support WHILST playing the movie, therefore with the DXVA switched on I did not see the result when switching it off. Now having read your suggestions I switched off DXVA and restarted the movie - and now for the first time it played with no errors!;) I can't thank you enough for help and suggestions to check the video not audio settings. Now I can fully enjoy the xbmc and my htpc;)
Thanks again!!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shattered video saga0