Win Windows 8 - Unable to play video smoothly
Hello, hope you can help Smile

I have since recently upgraded to a new laptop and XBMC does not appear to like Windows 8. I have never had an issue with XBMC on the Windows 7 laptop I had. Here are basic specs:

Graphics card Information
AMD Radeon HD 7650M (2GB Deditcated)
Hard drive Information
1TB
Model name / number
Sony Vaio SVE1713Z1EB
Operating system Information
Windows 8 (64 Bit)
Processor Information
Intel Core i7 3632QM
Processor speed Information
2.2GHz to 3.2GHz with Turbo Boost
RAM
8GB
Wireless networking
802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth

The problem I am having is that Frodo 12.2 ( I was on 12.1 before with same issue) is still having issues with video playback. Basically if I go to play a video, it will just jump frames (FPS unaltered to norm), play what appears very very slowly and with no sound. The whole program appears to have slowed down as mouse also moves across screen exceptionally slow. The way it affects my library seems partially random. It will appear to sometimes dislike playing an entire show on one occasion I load it and change which show it dislikes playing the next occasion I restart my laptop up. If I play any other show to the one(s) it currently dislikes, I have no issues. It is very frustrating, especially as I enjoy using PseudoTV and to suddenly have a show slapped in the middle of two others that won't play correctly doesn't help. I would like to note though this issue occurs with or without pseudotv being used. I have tried all sorts to solve it but there is always at least one show it will dislike playing on startup. I know there were many with this issue on 12.1 that I had read on some forum about with tips such as skipping forward and back, etc. I either dont have enough patience for this solution to work or more than 15 times of this each time it messes up is simply not enough to get it going again.
Go through the audio sticky.
Ive got win 8 on two machines...ones my server (custom built with the non mobile version of your card) and the other in my laptop (totally different specs with nvidia card)...it works flawlessly on win 8...I would even go as far as to say that xbmc works better on win 8 than it does on ubuntu, i never get any crashes in the current build (xbmc 12.2) on win 8.

You should double check your video drivers (since its a sony...which Im sorry for you that it is...You will need to download the video drivers thru sony.com...as they use special drivers and even if AMD provides an update for your Radeon HD 7650M, you wont be able to use the driver from the amd site...you can only used the radeon drivers sony supplies on their site...its a weird thing about sony that made me never want to get another viao) infact, make sure all of your drivers are updated just incase because I can tell you, xbmc + win 8 = happiness.

PS, give us a debug log for someone that knows a bit more than I do to give you better help.
I am also on Win8 and Frodo, but I am using an AMD system with integrated graphics. I would go to the audio section as others have suggested. I had stuttering too when I first installed my system, but that thread fixed my issues. XBMC runs awesome under Win8, especially with an SSD as the boot drive.
If the slowness is throughout XBMC even in the GUI with nothing playing then it's likely to be the AMD drivers causing the problem, as bad audio settings will only cause problems during playback of video. What version of Catalyst do you have? There have been quite a few problems with version 13, so you could try 12.10 which is known to work well with XBMC.
Just a thought too...On my newest ultrabook I have two video cards...ones the dedicated nvidia card, the other is the integrated intel graphics...on most programs that arnt too resource intensive it will automatically use the intel graphics to save battery life and for other programs it will auto-select the dedicated nvidia card (however the auto-select program sometimes selects the wrong card and I have to manually set the graphic processor i want to use.) perhaps with your new laptop there is a similar setup?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 8 - Unable to play video smoothly0