Accessing MYSQL from different home wirelessly!!!
Hi guys....

I am trying to figure out if this could be a possibility.

I have my home completely setup and working great with the MYSQL databse syncing all my rooms.

Now the question is this - Can one connect to my MYSQL database from another home if that person connects to me via a wireless grid.
This person will of course have his own ip's which will be outside of my ip range but if we add my advancedsettings.xml file to his XBMC install, will his XBMC sync with my setup, as the .xml file will point to my servers ip.

If this is in the incorrect section could an Admin please move it to the proper section.

Your guys help will be greatly appreciated with this.
I would also love to know this as well.
Had me excited there hilljd00.. Thought it was an answer to my prayers lol
I'm not sure why you would want to do this. The attraction of a MySQL set up is being able to share watched and resume points, which is something that becomes less useful when multiple individuals start using it. Sharing your video files is different, and does not require access to the MySQL server. If you ever exported your library as "multiple files" then the neighbors imported library will be identical for descriptions and artwork, and both of you would have your own set of watched/resume points.

In any case, it's a matter of exposing the server to each other, be it the MySQL server or the file server. If you make a second network connection on the same computere in order to bridge your network with the neighbors network, I guess it would be possible, but I don't really know how various OSes handle being connected to two networks at once.
Ned Scott.... Thanx so much for the reply. This is why the forum is great because when asking a question, you get answers about things one did not think of.

I didn't think about the fact that what is watched will be marked on their side as well.

I actually want to set up a system for my father in law but didn't want the hassle of having to go to him to download movies or even copy mine and then copy it to his system. So I wanted to connect him via a wireless grid to me and then have his XBMC install sync with mine.

With further thought though I have found that sharing my files, as you also mentioned, would be the better option. My files are complete with nfo's and fanart thus if he is connected to me then his XBMC would update itself from my files then.

Thanx for the help there Ned
The best way to achieve what you want is to use a VPN on your fathers network and connect to your network and then you can just add your your library on your father side as if it was part of your network.

If my replies help you, please click on my reputation Image below :) thanks :)
The biggest consideration to take is if the upload speed from your network to his network will be sufficient for the streaming of video files.

If you have sufficient speed it is possible to link the networks together, either via vpn or in a different way.
They're neighbors. They can make a local wireless network, which is what he's attempting. No need to route it through the internet. I'm just not sure how various OSes handle being connected to both the internet and to a secondary local wlan at the same time.
Windows doesnt have a problem with being on multiple networks at the same time. As long as you configure the applications to use the proper Nic card to route the traffic

If my replies help you, please click on my reputation Image below :) thanks :)
Yep Ned Scott

I belong to a wireless group and was thus gonna connect my father in law to me in this way. We are about 2km/s from each other but our throughput is not an issue as we should get about 30/35Mbps between each other. We would both be using the exact same OS with all updates being similar as well. So there should not be any conflict or issues I think.

I thank you guys for your input and advice and have decided that sharing my drives with him is the best option then as all my movies/series are sorted with nfo's and fanart. So updating his XBMC library should not be a problem as all info is in the folders.

Thanx again to all for your kind and generous assistance
(2013-05-06, 10:36)Ned Scott Wrote: They're neighbors. They can make a local wireless network, which is what he's attempting. No need to route it through the internet. I'm just not sure how various OSes handle being connected to both the internet and to a secondary local wlan at the same time.

It's no problem at all as long as the secondary interface (the wifi link in this case) uses addresses from a different network than the "main" network. If for example they both use 192.168.1.0/24 for their home networks they could set up the wireless link on 192.168.2.0/24 and everything would be fine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Accessing MYSQL from different home wirelessly!!!0