HTPC Recomendations
(2013-05-08, 10:50)PobjoySpecial Wrote: Field Syncing:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=130059

Most "interlaced" video is actually telecined. If it was shot on video (i.e. magnetic tape), then it's interlaced. If it was shot on film, then it's telecined. Check individual frames if you want to be sure. A 3:2 pattern of progressive:interlaced content can easily be re-assembled through inverse-telecine. True interlaced video has fields that don't match, hence the horsepower needed to render it as progressive video.

Field syncing only works on 1080i signals.

Very nice, thanks for the link.
will tvs automatically deinterlace interlaced signals or is it an option that would need to be set? or is it a feature of only some tvs?
CP miller, the only thing to keep in mind is the 10-bit factor. I'm not sure A 1.1 GHz celeron will be able to decode it, where a core i3 will. Granted this is a niche encode, mostly used for anime, but it's starting to creep into some other encodes as well. I personally don't like it because my ATV can't run it, but I you want your HTPC to play absolutely everything you'll need the horsepower for it. Chances are that if you haven't run into it yet, you're fine.

I'm also right about to upgrade and have been looking at some of the same options that you have. My ATV 1 w/ Broadcom card is showing its age, but I'm wondering if I should wait another little while u til h.265 starts getting used to ensure I get something that can decode that. I really like the Arctic m101 but it's $400.
Interesting point on the i3 vs the Celeron, but I don't think I can justify the extra $100 for that edge case.

I think I'm going with the NUC Celeron, 4gb ram, 32gb msata, and openelec. I'll report back with how I like it.
I'm not sure about the Celeron NUC, but I noticed a difference between 1 and 2 GB ram on my Arctic MC001 while browsing menus.

I would probably go with 2 GB. Anything more with Openelec is overkill. I also run Openelec off a 8 GB USB drive, but I imagine an SSD is necessary for heavy skins.
SSD is necessary also if you have a large library Wink
I priced 4gb ram @$32 and the 32gb msata @$58. I stream everything from my nas, but having 32gb ssd gives me enough room to put a movie or two on there if I decide to take it over to a friends to demo. The price difference between 2 and 4 gb of ram these days is barely $10, so I just decided to go wi 4 in case I ever have the urge to load windows on it.
so its noticeably better to run openelec off a msata SSD than off a USB thumb drive?
It may boot a few seconds faster, but openELEC runs entirely in RAM. I have a Celeron NUC with 4GB ram running on a 16GB SanDisk Cruzer flash drive. Boot time after post is about 12-15 seconds. After all my artwork, etc was cached, I have about 12GB free.
There was a really noticeable difference running openelec with Aeon Nox in my system (arctic mc001) with ssd than a usb flash drive...

Not only the boot time...
but also while browsing my video library.. (loading poster and fanart)...
(but an SSD costs considerably more than a usb drive)
If it's doing I/O with the flash drive to load the artwork, that's not a surprise. I am not sure if you can do this with OpenELEC but if you have enough memory, it might be worth creating a RAM disk and somehow getting the artwork on there. No idea how you'd do that but figuring it out might be cheaper than an SSD.
Hehe... thats an MIT project for me... Wink
(was less hassle to get an SSD)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC Recomendations0