Win Double duty HTPC
Hi all. I'm looking into upgrading my old Acer Revo for something a little beefier. I'd also like it to be able to occasionally stream video from a camcorder via Livestream, Ustream, Twitch, etc. Do I need a dedicated capture card or should I simply use USB/FireWire? I've been running on Ubuntu for a while now, but switching to Windows 7 is most likely in my future for compatibility/ease of use reasons. I don't have a set budget for this build, but portability is a concern, so probably something in a mini-itx. As a noob to streaming and specs, do you have any recommendations?
I don't know about your playback requirements... but unless you are doing anything 3D you are good with a Celeron G1610.

I just built one and it is super fast when paired with an SSD. There is really no reason to spend more money unless you are gaming. I paired my Celeron with a ECS H61 mobo from amazon and spent $80 total for both (I'm poor or I probably would have went H77 for RAID). It has been rock solid.

Can't help you much on your camcorder issue though.

Or if you want pre-built... Celeron NUC. Might compare benchmarks on your old Acer to see if it will be a significant upgrade.
And, if you only need one HDMI output, look at the ECS H61H2-TI thin mini-ITX board. It has the DC power supply on-board so all you need is a AC adapter. I had two leftover Dell 90W adapters that work so find one should be very cheap and easy. You need 12-19.5V, 7.4mm x 5.0mm tip. You can get an mSATA card for it around the same price as a 2.5" SSD except no wires needed. I have one with a G530 in it sitting right next to me in a case that's only 60mm high with a Dynatron K199 cooler I had. It's going to be our new office PC since the i3-530 one died last night.

Here's the AC adapter: http://www.amazon.com/Dell-PA-10-Precisi...0051UPBQC/ for $20

I took the power board out of this case to build it. The picture doesn't do it justice -- it's a dark silver and it looks amazing (if you're into that kind of thing).

Dougie,

What case is that? Looks nice.
It's the Realan E-Q6i ( http://www.minicase.net/product_E-Q6i.html ). It's a nicer version of the Habey EMC-600S. The silver is a darker color and it's 4mm shorter with front USB/audio ports. I'd seen it before in all the stuff I get from Realan and I've never been interested until I grabbed a couple of samples off someone who was selling off their inventory. When I opened them up I was definitely wow'd. So, so nice in the dark brushed silver. It's definitely living-room/lounge worthy
@dougie

Link of Realan does not work Smile
(2013-05-08, 21:50)solamnic Wrote: @dougie

Link of Realan does not work Smile

Sorry - fixed. It grabbed the ending parentheses.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Double duty HTPC0