Linux Tvheadend -> xbmc hd stream very pixelated
Hi, i get this problem where if i play a hd channel, it gets very pixalated. I run OE 3.0 and xbmc win as frontend and tvheadend as backend. The oe box is a E45M1-I DELUXE with 4gb ram and the win xbmc box is an i7 with 8gb of ram. I can play the channel just fine in the tvheadend webinterface, but not in OE and win xbmc. This is what it looks like http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...CzueoAhRBU
Sadly, your link just takes me to a "your video is private" message... I've seen pixellations on videos like that before ... :-)

What happens if you record the programme rather than stream it? Can you play that back via the tvheadend addon? Can you play it back over an NFS or SMB share, or if you move it locally?

I run much lower-spec'ed clients for OE (Atom) and Windows (i5 mobile), and they're both perfectly happy with HD channels.
doh forgot to make it public, but it is now Smile Recorded 2 hours yesterday without any errors, its just the streaming :/
Some serious macroblocking going on there. Soooo... I'd be looking at:

1. The network, and the load on that (test local playback to eliminate) - although the fact that you can stream to VLC in tvheadend's web client suggests that's good enough.

2. Client loading - again, can you play locally

3. Server loading - although streaming via the WebUI should be the same as via the addon, AFAIK

4. XBMC settings

5. Mounting the recordings folder directly through NFS/SMB and seeing if you can play that way

It looks more like a bandwidth/bitrate issue than a client horsepower issue.
(2013-05-09, 22:44)Prof Yaffle Wrote: Some serious macroblocking going on there. Soooo... I'd be looking at:

1. The network, and the load on that (test local playback to eliminate) - although the fact that you can stream to VLC in tvheadend's web client suggests that's good enough.

2. Client loading - again, can you play locally

3. Server loading - although streaming via the WebUI should be the same as via the addon, AFAIK

4. XBMC settings

5. Mounting the recordings folder directly through NFS/SMB and seeing if you can play that way

It looks more like a bandwidth/bitrate issue than a client horsepower issue.

both server and clients have gbit network interfaces and i get a steady 60mb/sec transfer speeds over the network. What xbmc settings might i have gotten wrong?
That's where we need to know if XBMC will play the exact same files (1) over the network, and (2) locally. If it does, then it's not a rendering issue at XBMC's end... if it doesn't, then that moves the conversation somewhere else.

I'd suggest that you set up a share from your tvh server and mount that in XBMC. That uses the same source hardware (your server) client hardware and network; see if this works.

Then copy the recorded file to your clients and see if it plays there.

We need to eliminate some big bits of the infrastructure, and then use debugging to see what's going wrong.
(2013-05-10, 13:23)Prof Yaffle Wrote: That's where we need to know if XBMC will play the exact same files (1) over the network, and (2) locally. If it does, then it's not a rendering issue at XBMC's end... if it doesn't, then that moves the conversation somewhere else.

I'd suggest that you set up a share from your tvh server and mount that in XBMC. That uses the same source hardware (your server) client hardware and network; see if this works.

Then copy the recorded file to your clients and see if it plays there.

We need to eliminate some big bits of the infrastructure, and then use debugging to see what's going wrong.

I can play the recorded file from tvheadend record folder on server to xbmc clients without problem.
Hm, sounds a bit similar to my problem - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=163333 - although the effects on the video are much more extreme. Like you, the same source but played back from a recording will work fine.
That suggests to me that XBMC is configured correctly to render HD sources, that your network has the bandwidth to support the stream, and that both client and server have the hardware to serve/receive the file.

... which means that it's the tvheadend software or the XBMC addon that's at fault. The fact that this problem exists on two separate platforms points to the backend, perhaps...?

What version of tvheadend are you running, what version(s) of the addon?

... and then we maybe need to start looking at logs (which, I'll confess now, we'll need someone else's help, since that's not really my strength).

Or you can just be happy watching recordings from a shared directory, and pretend that this never happened :-)
(2013-05-10, 21:31)Prof Yaffle Wrote: That suggests to me that XBMC is configured correctly to render HD sources, that your network has the bandwidth to support the stream, and that both client and server have the hardware to serve/receive the file.

... which means that it's the tvheadend software or the XBMC addon that's at fault. The fact that this problem exists on two separate platforms points to the backend, perhaps...?

What version of tvheadend are you running, what version(s) of the addon?

... and then we maybe need to start looking at logs (which, I'll confess now, we'll need someone else's help, since that's not really my strength).

Or you can just be happy watching recordings from a shared directory, and pretend that this never happened :-)

Lets give it one last shot Smile I run tvheadend 3.4 and client version is 1.6.18 in xbmc

hmm now i see that i have a hd channel that does work, the working one is 720p and the one that's causing all this error is 1080p, might that have something to do with this?
You really have a channel in 1080p? Are you sure it's not 1080i?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
i meant 1080i ofcourse Smile
OK well maybe the difference is related to the interlacing?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tvheadend -> xbmc hd stream very pixelated0