Win Program to launch XBMC with Xbox 360 guide button
Information 
Hi,

I made a program that let you launch xbmc from the xbox 360 controller's guide button.

I use Xbmc, but not in a dedicated PC (pc, tv and 5.1 amplifier in the living room), and I wanted to launch it with the xbox controller guide button
but Microsoft doesn’t allow the mapping of this button.

So I made a program that allow me to map it and I wanted to share it.

I only tested it on my system, windows 7 and wireless gamepad.

29/12/2013
Merry Christmas and Happy new year! You can find the 1.0b version of GuideCall Here OLD version link removed
What's new on the 1.0b
-Your controler no longer need to be started when windows start
-The hidden start program is no longer needed (this improve the windows 8 compatibility)
-The program must be installed under c:\guidecall
-The main program uses now 51k of memory!
-Fixed the XBMC focus problem that occured with some xbmc startup settings

17/01/2014
THE 1.1 version is out and can be downloaded here: old 1.1 - 2.6 MB
With this version you can launch anything you want with the guide button, or send any key you want to the operating system.

What's new in the 1.1:
-The ability to launch any program you want with the guide button
-The ability to send Alt F4 or ESC to your operating System (Very usefull if you use emulators)
-the integration of a configurator
-Improved compatibility with 32bits operatings system
-Full windows registery integration
-Full windows program (no more batch files that may cause compatibility issues)

What's New in the 1.2 version
-Very clean uninstall process
-Now you have the possibility to kill any program you want pressing the button
-Esc functionality improved

here is the last version, please uninstall the 1.1,reboot your system, and run the cleaner.exe provided before installe this one.
Guidecall 1.2.rar - 1.1 MB

Please post here, even a simple "thank you", this is a great motivation to me.
I tried this with my HTPC (Microsoft wireless adapter, and controller) and it didn't work. I'm rebooting in a few minutes to try and see if it works Smile

edit: still not working
have you installed xbmc in the defaulf folder in the C drive and are you using windows 7? if not you you just have to edit a file, just let me know and I'll tell you the procedure. you just have to right click on the xbmc shortcut and copy/paste what's in the target field here.
Great work man!
i have been trying to figure out ways of launching apps with the guide button for my htpc and alternate drivers are too buggy. is it possible to change the path to another file so I could run an ahk script? can i just edit one of the batch files and get this result?
Thank you so much for this. I have been looking for a way to do this for a few days now. Like you I tried different drivers and nothing worked on Windows 8. What I am using it for is to send ALT+F4 via an AutoHotKey script so when I am playing an emulator and want to exit out of it and go back to XBMC I can hit the Guide button. Works perfectly.

@LEGENDofGARY: Just modify the C:\Windows\xbmc.bat file and point to whatever you want the Guide button to do.

Tony
This is fantastic. I have been looking for something similar for a long time. Is it possible to run in Windows 8? I can get it working on one of my Windows 7 PCs without much problem but it just freezes on Windows 8 with the message 'Guidecall.exe has stopped working'. I really think a program like this has a lot of potential for making launching things with a controller much, much easier. Is there a possibility that you could make it open source?

Thanks for the program anyways, though. You seem to be the only person on the entire internet that has actually been able to make some headway with the guide button.
Awesome app. I hope you do have plans to develop it further, don't you?
This topic deserves more attention! It's really convenient to be able to launch XBMC with the Xbox guide button.
I agree. Sadly though Mr Fletch apparently sank into the ground. I tried to msg him with no result.
No I was just sank under a ton of nappy, but I still work on it and, for instance, you'll no longer need a connected controller.
For windows 8 you should try to execute the program in compatibility mode (see the readme of the new version)

Here is the new version of guidecall link removed

As described in the readme and during the installation process, this is a freeware but not a open source program. To those persons who asked me the sources (a lot more than post in the thread), I wanted to thank you for your interest.
Hey!
Nice idea! I really like the Alt+F4 thing for emulators and Games!
It can be a pain in the ass to find the way out of the game, so a fast Alt+F4 with the controller would help a lot. Waiting for the new version! Smile
Nice work, Ive been wanting to use the guide button on the controller for ages. Smile I'll give it a whirl with a autohotkey script when I get home.
Hello, I m interested how you programming this. Can you give me some information about this function in input.dll ?
I have programmed this nice Tool (German Forum) I want to puplicate it soon in a English Forum :
http://www.xbmcnerds.com/index.php?page=...adID=34202
It has also the ability to start XBMC with a Button, but not with the Guide Button ! Please give me some Information about this ! My EMail is [email protected] ! Thanks !
here is the last version, GC11 Installer.exe - 2.6 MB
As promised you have the possibility to launch anything you want using the configurator, even to sent alt+f4 or esc, enyoy Smile
Hello, I will give it a try, nice work ! I will also public my new Version of the program tomorrow, it has also Guidebutton support ! Thanks for this great idea ! Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Program to launch XBMC with Xbox 360 guide button1