RetroPlayer branch of Kodi

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 5 Average
garbear Offline
Team-Kodi Developer
If you came here for support, do this one thing.
POST A DEBUG LOG

RetroPlayer is a new player core for Kodi Entertainment Center. It is similar to the video player and audio visualizer, but it plays games instead of movies and music.

Design and Components
  • RetroPlayer: Code name of a new Kodi component that can play emulators, standalone games, and NVidia GameStream.
  • Game provider add-ons: Stream tens of thousands of games directly from the Internet Archive Software Collection
  • Controller support: Support for every controller under the sun, with an API for DIY controllers. Each emulator game system can be mapped separately. Early concept:

[Image: ConfigurationGUI_zps10704b12-600x336.png]

Future Components
  • Media readers: Cartridge adapters, like the Retrode, that give Kodi access to game
  • Game save manager: Manage savestates and SRAM saves. Combined with a media reader, you get "gameplay persistence" - yank the cartridge out of the reader and Kodi stops the game, taking a save state. Plug the cartridge back in and Kodi plays the game right where you last left off.
  • Game library: What else other than the full Kodi experience? Box art, game trailers, gameplay videos, system intros, save states, and more.
  • Network play: I fully completed a netplay add-on. It was slow and buggy and basically needs to be rewritten from scratch.
  • Shaders: Let's start brainstorming what we want and how this could work. A CRT shader would be cool.

Fork from https://github.com/garbear/xbmc and start coding!

BTC: 1JtXwJdGdE9YnYgThWBT2StFCU5sEYkbVD (personal), https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate-bitcoin (foundation). Donations in the form of controllers, especially ones that don't work in Kodi, are also appreciated.
(This post was last modified: 2015-12-21 10:18 by garbear.)
find quote
garbear Offline
Team-Kodi Developer
I updated the scope of the project. What do you guys think?
find quote
natethomas Offline
XBMC Chief and Kodi Project Manager
I might suggest also listing shaders for future components. Making shaders mostly platform agnostic is probably quite a ways off, but I think the ability to emulate the look of a CRT screen might ultimately be a big positive for a lot of people.
find quote
garbear Offline
Team-Kodi Developer
Added shaders to the list
find quote
Scourge Offline
Very nice, garbear. Wish I could be of some use Smile
find quote
Heretic9 Offline
This kind of shader would be awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLNfzZ-KMdI
find quote
teeedubb Offline
Donor
Hey garbear, i love reading your posts and I follow your work with great anticipation - I'm really looking forward to seeing this merged. I've asked this question about a year ago so I hope you don't mind me asking again - what do you think the chances are of this being included in the next release of kodi? Smile
find quote
da-anda Offline
Team-Kodi Member
I don't see it in the next release, simply because we aimed for much shorter release cycles - let's see how this works out. Also next release must not introduce skin changes IIRC
find quote
Megatron Offline
(2015-01-21 11:19)da-anda Wrote:  I don't see it in the next release, simply because we aimed for much shorter release cycles - let's see how this works out. Also next release must not introduce skin changes IIRC

How much shorter are the release cycles anyway?...every 6-8 months? When can we expect the next release to be?
(This post was last modified: 2015-01-21 13:19 by Megatron.)
find quote
iHateMemphiz Offline
Closed Account
your efforts are the single most exciting development for me
hopefully we see the fruits of your labor soon, heck, i'd say release a kodi version just with this amazing feature
find quote
Lorax Offline
support for high resolution texture packs in addition to shaders would be awesome as well.
find quote
garbear Offline
Team-Kodi Developer
@Lorax texture packs for what? roms?
find quote
Lorax Offline
Yes, like what's shown in this article for Zelda.

http://lifehacker.com/bring-your-retro-g...1516605379
find quote
natethomas Offline
XBMC Chief and Kodi Project Manager
(2015-01-30 16:17)Lorax Wrote:  Yes, like what's shown in this article for Zelda.

http://lifehacker.com/bring-your-retro-g...1516605379

Well that's pretty cool. Definitely seems like a v3 thing though.
find quote
Solo0815 Online
Fan
Pls let #garbear concentrate on finish this thing.
Can't wait to give it a try on Kodi or 14+1. We do not want to wait until 14+2 Wink

there are only 10 sorts of people: those who understand binary and those who don't

PC: Kubuntu 14.04 and Win7 --- Wetek Play: OpenELEC 7.x (master) --- NAS: OMV 2.x with Kodi-headless
find quote