RetroPlayer branch of Kodi

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
garbear Offline
Team-Kodi Developer
If you came here for support, do this one thing.
POST A DEBUG LOG

RetroPlayer is a new player core for Kodi Entertainment Center. It is similar to the video player and audio visualizer, but it plays games instead of movies and music.

Design and Components
  • RetroPlayer: Player core that plays games using game add-ons. Despite its name, it can play all types of games, not just retro ones. Games can be paused, fast-forwarded, and rewound in realtime. Save states are created similar to bookmarks, allowing for quick browsing of the game's play history. 3D support (for N64, etc) is being worked on.
  • Game Add-ons: Standalone games, emulators, NVidia GameStream via Limelight. and WINE capture are possible through the Game API. The Game API has 1:1 compatibility with the libretro API, so all libretro cores are valid game add-ons.
  • Peripheral Add-ons: A way to interface DIY hardware (currently game controllers and media readers) with Kodi.
  • Joystick input: The joystick peripheral add-on provides access to many joystick interfaces across various platforms. A controller configuration utility is in the works:

[Image: ConfigurationGUI_zps10704b12-600x336.png]

Future Components
  • Media readers: Cartridge adapters and disk drives that give Kodi access to game ROMs. Such cartridge readers include the Retrode adapter (which can also interface with console controllers). Python scripts also have access to the ROM and can do things like automatically backing up ROMs and downloading metadata, artwork and multimedia using identifiers embedded in ROM data. Media readers also allow for gameplay persistence across sessions - yank the cartridge out of the reader and Kodi stops the game and takes a save state; plug the cartridge back in and Kodi plays the game right where you last left off.
  • Game library: Games offer new ways of interacting with media libraries: box art, game trailers, gameplay videos, system intros, save states, and more. Games don't have to be on your computer; plugins can provide games that can be scanned into the library. Free clones of virtually every popular game can be streamed (and cached) directly from public domain ROM sites. If binary add-ons could provide games, then Steam libraries on the network could be scanned into the game library.
  • Network play: The details for this need to be worked out. Netplay for emulators can be trivially implemented by extending the Game API over a tcp transport. One computer hosts the emulator and transfers video, audio and input. Two frontends (Kodi instances) connect, one over the DLL interface and one over the network. Connecting to peers could be done through the "Play using..." button.
  • Shaders: Let's start brainstorming what we want and how this could work. A CRT shader would be cool.

Fork from https://github.com/garbear/xbmc and start coding!

BTC: 1JtXwJdGdE9YnYgThWBT2StFCU5sEYkbVD (personal), https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate-bitcoin (foundation)
(This post was last modified: 2015-02-24 00:08 by garbear.)
find quote
garbear Offline
Team-Kodi Developer
I updated the scope of the project. What do you guys think?
find quote
natethomas Offline
Team Kodi Community Manager
I might suggest also listing shaders for future components. Making shaders mostly platform agnostic is probably quite a ways off, but I think the ability to emulate the look of a CRT screen might ultimately be a big positive for a lot of people.

[Image: 1bCRGjW]
find quote
garbear Offline
Team-Kodi Developer
Added shaders to the list
find quote
Scourge Offline
Very nice, garbear. Wish I could be of some use Smile
find quote
Heretic9 Offline
This kind of shader would be awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLNfzZ-KMdI
find quote
teeedubb Offline
Donor
Hey garbear, i love reading your posts and I follow your work with great anticipation - I'm really looking forward to seeing this merged. I've asked this question about a year ago so I hope you don't mind me asking again - what do you think the chances are of this being included in the next release of kodi? Smile
find quote
da-anda Offline
Team-Kodi Member
I don't see it in the next release, simply because we aimed for much shorter release cycles - let's see how this works out. Also next release must not introduce skin changes IIRC
find quote
Megatron Offline
(2015-01-21 11:19)da-anda Wrote:  I don't see it in the next release, simply because we aimed for much shorter release cycles - let's see how this works out. Also next release must not introduce skin changes IIRC

How much shorter are the release cycles anyway?...every 6-8 months? When can we expect the next release to be?
(This post was last modified: 2015-01-21 13:19 by Megatron.)
find quote
macrho Offline
your efforts are the single most exciting development for me
hopefully we see the fruits of your labor soon, heck, i'd say release a kodi version just with this amazing feature
find quote
Lorax Offline
support for high resolution texture packs in addition to shaders would be awesome as well.
find quote
garbear Offline
Team-Kodi Developer
@Lorax texture packs for what? roms?
find quote
Lorax Offline
Yes, like what's shown in this article for Zelda.

http://lifehacker.com/bring-your-retro-g...1516605379
find quote
natethomas Offline
Team Kodi Community Manager
(2015-01-30 16:17)Lorax Wrote:  Yes, like what's shown in this article for Zelda.

http://lifehacker.com/bring-your-retro-g...1516605379

Well that's pretty cool. Definitely seems like a v3 thing though.

[Image: 1bCRGjW]
find quote
Solo0815 Offline
Fan
Pls let #garbear concentrate on finish this thing.
Can't wait to give it a try on Kodi or 14+1. We do not want to wait until 14+2 Wink

there are only 10 sorts of people: those who understand binary and those who don't

PC: Kubuntu 14.04 and Win7 --- Wetek Play: OpenELEC --- VU+ Duo: VTi 7.0.x --- NAS: OMV 1.0.x with XBMC-Server
find quote