Solved "Categories" in XBMC Frodo 12.2
Hello Everybody

Please apologize if this question may ended up in the wrong forum.

I'm a newbie to XBMC and have searched on Google for what I'm trying to achieve but apparently had no luck there.

I was wondering if there is any chance to add individual "Categories" in XBMC. I refer to categories as the items in the main Screen. There is Videos, TV Shows, Music, Pictures, Settings etc. I would like to add one called "Audio Books", as I don't want to have my audio books in the same category as Music.

I have the following folder structure:
<drive>
----------\Multimedia
---------------------------\Videos
---------------------------\Music
---------------------------\TVShows
---------------------------\AudioBooks
---------------------------\Pictures

So in XBMC I would like to have a "Audio Book" category as there is for Videos, Music, TVShows and Pictures. Is this possible? If so how can I achieve this?

Any help is much appreciated!
THX
Regards
Chris
This can be done by making 2 smart Playlists (wiki) based on folders.
Thanks for the tip but that's not quite what I was trying to achieve. Given solution adds kind of "playlist" what I would like is to create a new "Category" or Library. So on the main screen there would be:

Weather | Pictures | Videos | TV Shows | Music | Audio Books | Settings

So is there no way to create an additional "Category", "Library" or whatever you call that bar on the main screen? No hack in an xml or ini files somewhere?

THX
Yes, exactly as I said before, also see Custom Home Items (wiki)

A smart playlist (wiki) is a list of items based on a selection criteria. This criteria could be 'path does not contain Audiobooks' or for another one ' path contains Audiobooks'.
Call one playlist 'MyMusic' and the other 'MyAudiobooks' , then favourite boht playlists.

Now add a custom menu item called 'Music' to the main screen that calls 'MyMusic', add a custom item 'AudioBooks' that calls 'MyAudiobooks' and hide the real Music menu.
To be able to do this you will either need to edit the skin files or use a skin that allows you to edit custom items to the main menu, which a lot of the skins do (or there are modded versions that allow it).

Personally i find the second way best, as it enables you to update the skin without losing the changes.
You can easily do this with a filter and the skin AEON NOX

It is a bit cpu intensive, but I love it

You can create a top level item, and point it to an xml node file pointing to a specific directory. I use it to add an item, then a submenu called ONLINE and OFFLINE, to point to online movies and dvd/br offline movies
@Kibje: Alright, now I got it. Thanks very much and sorry for being slow on the uptake with this Smile
@philhu: Thanks for the skin recommendation!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Categories" in XBMC Frodo 12.20