• 4(current)
Is XBMC ever going to work smooth and be user friendly?
I've been running XBMC for over a year now and other than problems cause by "ME" or hardware, XBMC has been 100% reliable and wife friendly. I work on computers for a living and I've come to believe that if a user isn't happy about something or is having problems that the majority of people that are using it are not, that it is the user.
99% of computer related problems are between the chair and the keyboard.
(2013-05-19, 06:45)tential Wrote: My take on when XBMC will reach it's prime is based on when ANY hardware will be able to run it at it's full potential without slowdowns for very cheap.

2-6 years from now, when Intel's Silvermount is mature, it's going to be game over. Intel has decided to implement tick tock to it's Atom type processors. Just for a reference, after Intel got trashed around 2005-2007 by AMD's Athlon 64 which destroyed Pentium 4's, Intel got back to being serious and release the Core2Duo processors (Conroe). These chips were monsters. Not only did they destroy AMD, they overclocked. You could buy the low end one an OC it to their $1000 premium chip levels. Intel has said they will now start this development on Atom type processors. I'm guessing within 2 years we see intel have extreme dominance and in this extreme mobile/mini PCs. Development of XBMC + Hardware that's cheap enough that $200 dollars gets you the majority of things to run flawlessly, beautifully, without slowdowns or even a thought of "Can this handle XBMC?" is when I think it will reach it's prime. I'm excited for Silvermount though for the mobile/ultrasmall PC market. When intel released Conroe it changed the desktop scene forever. Replacing your PC because it's too slow takes MUCH longer. If this type of performance reaches our hands in the ultra mobile/small pc market, we'll all be in a very happy place.

You forget that the world will move to 4k video in h265 and hardware demands will rise considerably. I mean we all thought we were sorted with pentium2 and nvidia 440 video cards in the sd days, then along came hd, h264, hd audio etc and everyone had to rethink and rebuy.

(2013-05-23, 18:33)malibu327 Wrote: I've been running XBMC for over a year now and other than problems cause by "ME" or hardware, XBMC has been 100% reliable and wife friendly. I work on computers for a living and I've come to believe that if a user isn't happy about something or is having problems that the majority of people that are using it are not, that it is the user.

+1
(2013-05-25, 00:42)nickr Wrote:
(2013-05-19, 06:45)tential Wrote: My take on when XBMC will reach it's prime is based on when ANY hardware will be able to run it at it's full potential without slowdowns for very cheap.

2-6 years from now, when Intel's Silvermount is mature, it's going to be game over. Intel has decided to implement tick tock to it's Atom type processors. Just for a reference, after Intel got trashed around 2005-2007 by AMD's Athlon 64 which destroyed Pentium 4's, Intel got back to being serious and release the Core2Duo processors (Conroe). These chips were monsters. Not only did they destroy AMD, they overclocked. You could buy the low end one an OC it to their $1000 premium chip levels. Intel has said they will now start this development on Atom type processors. I'm guessing within 2 years we see intel have extreme dominance and in this extreme mobile/mini PCs. Development of XBMC + Hardware that's cheap enough that $200 dollars gets you the majority of things to run flawlessly, beautifully, without slowdowns or even a thought of "Can this handle XBMC?" is when I think it will reach it's prime. I'm excited for Silvermount though for the mobile/ultrasmall PC market. When intel released Conroe it changed the desktop scene forever. Replacing your PC because it's too slow takes MUCH longer. If this type of performance reaches our hands in the ultra mobile/small pc market, we'll all be in a very happy place.

You forget that the world will move to 4k video in h265 and hardware demands will rise considerably. I mean we all thought we were sorted with pentium2 and nvidia 440 video cards in the sd days, then along came hd, h264, hd audio etc and everyone had to rethink and rebuy.

(2013-05-23, 18:33)malibu327 Wrote: I've been running XBMC for over a year now and other than problems cause by "ME" or hardware, XBMC has been 100% reliable and wife friendly. I work on computers for a living and I've come to believe that if a user isn't happy about something or is having problems that the majority of people that are using it are not, that it is the user.

+1

I believe that we'll be able to handle 4k and h265, long before movies and TV sets are affordable. If you've been following intel's advancements in processors, Haswell is just coming out promising tons less power consumption, increased IPC, and higher clockspeeds. It will outperform ivybridge at same clocks, and should be able to achieve higher clocks as well. This same Tick/Tock is being applied in the ultra mobile with Silvermount. Gone will be the days of Atom processors that "barely make it". 4K is still 2-4 years out until wide adoption. We haven't even seen a 4k bluray yet have we?
Quote:The first ever release of 'mastered in 4K' movies lead this week's list of new Blu-ray titles.

The 'mastered in 4K' movies, which include classics like Taxi Driver and Ghostbusters as well as modern day films such as The Amazing Spider-Man and Total Recall, range in price from $14.99 to $36.89 and can be played on any existing Blu-ray player.

Introducing the mastered in 4K discs last January at the Consumer Electronics Show, Sony said they would provide a "near 4K picture quality" when upscaled on a Sony 4K Ultra HDTV, or presumably, any 4K TV.

But, according to CNET, the mastered in 4K disc will be regarded as offering the best picture quality of any Blu-ray disc yet. The web site writes that the discs will have an enhanced bitrate because they will not include the usual extras like director commentaries.

Most Blu-ray titles normally have a bitrate of somewhere between 24Mbps to 30Mbps, but the mastered in 4K disc will reach 35 to 38. CNET notes that should produce a clearer picture and one with less blurring in scenes that depict fast motion.
site:http://www.tvpredictions.com/bluweek051313.htm
Is as close as we have gotten so far. Not necessarily 4K 'I dont' consider something that has to upscale to be 4K. With intel's renewed dedication to the low end processors, I don't think we'll have to worry about hardware being cheap and running 4K and h265. I remember how big the jump was between the Pentium 4 and when Core2Duo aka Conroe came out when Intel renewed it's dedication there to performance. When intel says they're going to make some good chips, history has shown they will, so I'll still hold on the 2-6 years.
For reference though:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13970_7-573...265-video/
Qualcomm showed that it's mobile processors could do this LAST YEAR. That's a snapdragon DualCore running at 1.5 Ghz. Now we're at SnapDragon Quadcores 1.9 Ghz. So we've added 2 cores, and 400 mhz to each of those cores since then, that was a mobile chip, I think the 200-300 dollar HTPCs 2-6 years from now will easily handle h265 or VP8. Whichever standard takes hold first.
Well then we both agree that people will need to upgrade their HTPCs when they want 4K.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Well I have been using XBMC for many years on many different platforms. Windows 7, Windows 8, Linux, etc.

I have never really experienced problems like OP has mentioned but maybe that is because I know how to setup a computer and operating system.. Give a monkey a pc with windows on and he will make it crash.

That's just a stupid thing to say. If the freshly installed program crashes to desktop randomly or only half of the new TV shows appear in the list, is that REALLY the user's fault and if it is, could the program maybe be made a little better?

(2013-05-30, 12:40)MrTourettes Wrote: Well I have been using XBMC for many years on many different platforms. Windows 7, Windows 8, Linux, etc.

I have never really experienced problems like OP has mentioned but maybe that is because I know how to setup a computer and operating system.. Give a monkey a pc with windows on and he will make it crash.

That's not only stupid but also insulting. I have successfully setup all my computers and OS's for as long as I can remember, so why don't you go back where you came from, monkey man.
(2013-06-02, 20:32)xiii Wrote:

That's just a stupid thing to say. If the freshly installed program crashes to desktop randomly or only half of the new TV shows appear in the list, is that REALLY the user's fault and if it is, could the program maybe be made a little better?

(2013-05-30, 12:40)MrTourettes Wrote: Well I have been using XBMC for many years on many different platforms. Windows 7, Windows 8, Linux, etc.

That's not only stupid but also insulting. I have successfully setup all my computers and OS's for as long as I can remember, so why don't you go back where you came from, monkey man.

Mods, can you please sensor the racial name calling....
I think xiii is a rude tosser but I see no racism. The monkey man insult is surely a response to the 'monkey with a computer' jibe.
(2013-06-02, 22:37)nickr Wrote: I think xiii is a rude tosser but I see no racism. The monkey man insult is surely a response to the 'monkey with a computer' jibe.

Possibly, it's a well known resist term too.
not work safe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0R3OjMcOqg
I have been using XBMC since it was only available on a modified 1st edition Xbox.. I have progressed from that to windows versions, XBMC Live, to my current OpenElec setup on a Zotac.. It does take some setup and I doubt I use 5% of what it can really do, but for playing music and watching movies, nothing better in my opinion !! I show it to my friends and their first question is always the same, how much does it cost.. When I tell them it's free, they simply can't believe it. I usually have to show them the web site.
this thread delivers
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
I often wonder why some people have so many issues with XBMC when my experience is completely the opposite. I have 3 htpc's and a test htpc and I have virtually no issues, the issues I do have are usually skin related. None of my htpc's ever crash, video and audio work extremely well, the only audio issue I have is with out of sync audio sometimes but having said that I have the same out of synce issues with my TiVo.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
Could a mod please lock this thread. This is a worthless thread.
Frodo Win 8 Pro x64
Fractal Design Node 605 (looks amazing)
i5 3570K, Asus P8Z77V LK
2x80GB Intel 320 SSD, 4TB NAS
GTX 670x2 SLI, 16GB GSkill Ares
Onkyo RC360 with Paradigm piece-by-piece 5.1 build
Nyxboard and AHK full controlled via XBox Controller
(2013-06-05, 22:12)tjcinnamon Wrote: Could a mod please lock this thread. This is a worthless thread.
naaaahhh its good for a laugh...
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is XBMC ever going to work smooth and be user friendly?4