What is the best audio / video quality?
spike99, in the future please just start new threads for new totally different questions.
That way we can mark stuff as solved and have informative titles as well Smile
(2013-05-17, 02:55)spike99 Wrote: OK... This is info from BDInfo for a movie.

Total Video
Title Codec Length Movie Size Disc Size Bitrate Bitrate Main Audio Track Secondary Audio Track
----- ------ ------- -------------- -------------- ------- ------- ------------------ ---------------------
00000.MPLS AVC 2:06:50 38,017,333,248 38,017,548,840 39.96 32.70 Dolby TrueHD 5.1 3603Kbps (48kHz/24-bit)

Total Bitrate = 39.96
Video Bitrate = 32.70

VIDEO:

Codec Bitrate Description
----- ------- -----------
MPEG-4 AVC Video 32699 kbps 1080p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / High Profile 4.1

For MediaInfo I get: Overall bit rate: 36.3 Mbps

So they match then confirming it's a 1:1 rip Smile
So we are really back to comparing apples with oranges. Different devices have different combinations of hardware and firmware and software. An OPPO (whatever that is) sounds like it is one of those devices that has very specific hardware that is tuned to a limited range of functions - playing video being the main one.

Computer hardware such as we use for XBMC is far more versatile - and that makes the design a compromise. It will do things your OPPO can't, and maybe won't play video quite as crisply. Ditto your dedicated bluray player has very specific hardware tuned to play video files. Not to mention in both cases a dedicated of software/firmware people who are paid to do nothing else.

The thread has been split, and I am not sure if we know the OP's hardware. I find my nvidia gear very nice quality, but I don't know if this is because I don't have a bluray player or oppo to compare it to, or my eyes are tired after 51 years, or what.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-05-17, 09:54)Kibje Wrote: spike99, in the future please just start new threads for new totally different questions.
That way we can mark stuff as solved and have informative titles as well Smile

OK. Will do Smile
(2013-05-17, 10:45)jjd-uk Wrote: So they match then confirming it's a 1:1 rip Smile

When you say "they match"... what bitrate number match ??
MediaInfo shows bit rate states: 36.3 Mbps
BDInfo shows different bit rates. Total Bitrate = 39.96 & Video Bitrate = 32.70
(2013-05-17, 11:09)nickr Wrote: So we are really back to comparing apples with oranges. Different devices have different combinations of hardware and firmware and software. An OPPO (whatever that is) sounds like it is one of those devices that has very specific hardware that is tuned to a limited range of functions - playing video being the main one.

Computer hardware such as we use for XBMC is far more versatile - and that makes the design a compromise. It will do things your OPPO can't, and maybe won't play video quite as crisply. Ditto your dedicated bluray player has very specific hardware tuned to play video files. Not to mention in both cases a dedicated of software/firmware people who are paid to do nothing else.

The thread has been split, and I am not sure if we know the OP's hardware. I find my nvidia gear very nice quality, but I don't know if this is because I don't have a bluray player or oppo to compare it to, or my eyes are tired after 51 years, or what.

I haven't done a comparison yet in playing BD disc & MKV file in same hardware... This weekend I will be testing this on my OPPO & HTPC.

It is my understanding that OPPO Blu Ray players are the goto BluRay players if you are looking for the best Blu Ray Players. Also my HTPC has the latest CPU (Intel Core i7-3930K) & Graphics (NVIDIA GTX 680)

If I confirm that I'm really getting 1:1 for mkv file... then Blu Ray movies have a better video quality on OPPO Player VS a PC. I had previously mentioned that pic looked softer on XBMC vs OPPO.
FYI,

I tried doing a comparison and played blu ray disc and mkv in OPPO and I really couldn't tell a difference... but it wasn't until it occurred to me... that on my HTPC i can play a movie and take a screen shot and paste them to MS Paint. I compared MKV file and Blu Ray copy M2TS file (same directory structure as blu ray disc)... and no difference... I can clearly compare both images... and no difference.

I don't understand why space for blu ray copy M2TS file 27.5GB (same directory structure as blu ray disc) and MKV file 25.5GB are different file sizes.. I suppose because they are different format ?
(2013-05-18, 02:47)spike99 Wrote: I don't understand why space for blu ray copy M2TS file 27.5GB (same directory structure as blu ray disc) and MKV file 25.5GB are different file sizes.. I suppose because they are different format ?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1422139
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-05-16, 06:20)nickr Wrote: The container will make a lot of difference to overall filesize.

You need to compare the bitrate and stream size of the video stream, not the overall file.

I don't think I got this before...

Using MediaInfo for MKV
Stream size= 23.2GB
Overall bit rate 27.1 Mbps

Using MediaInfo for M2TS
overall bit rate 33.7 Mbps
max Overall bit rate: 48Mbps
Stream size not available
(2013-05-17, 17:48)spike99 Wrote: When you say "they match"... what bitrate number match ??
MediaInfo shows bit rate states: 36.3 Mbps
BDInfo shows different bit rates. Total Bitrate = 39.96 & Video Bitrate = 32.70

Sorry just realised I wasn't comparing the right numbers.

Copy & paste the complete info for the files to the pastebin website then post the links here.
jjd-uk,

I have copied & pasted file info for BDInfo & MediaInfo here: http://pastebin.com/AN75fTCH

This is actually a different movie so it has different bit rates than what I posted earlier.

Thanks.
So BDInfo reports m2ts video stream as:

Video: MPEG-4 AVC Video / 25550 kbps

MediaInfo reports mkv video steam as:

Video: BitRate/String: 25.0 Mbps

So pretty much the same, slightly lower MediaInfo number could be due to it being less accurate or maybe a rounding difference.

For the audio the mkv only has the DTS core track with the full DTS-HD MA track is missing.
(2013-05-18, 19:49)jjd-uk Wrote: So BDInfo reports m2ts video stream as:

Video: MPEG-4 AVC Video / 25550 kbps

MediaInfo reports mkv video steam as:

Video: BitRate/String: 25.0 Mbps

So pretty much the same, slightly lower MediaInfo number could be due to it being less accurate or maybe a rounding difference.

For the audio the mkv only has the DTS core track with the full DTS-HD MA track is missing.

OK..

I see what you are saying... the MKV is missing the DTS-HD MA... And I can see that DTS HD MA - has bit rate of 5827 kbps while DTS only has 1509 kbps.

I know that I have gotten DTS HD MA from other MKV files... but I know now what to look for... Smile

Note: When I use DVDFab, it gives me various movie selections to copy... I may not have selected the movie with DTS HD MA.

Thanks for info !!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What is the best audio / video quality?0